Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 09:17 PM

Re: The internet

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Behave.
LD, being in the same trade as me for some years you may have heard the saying regularly used "Impossibilities done at once, miracles take a little longer"?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
LD, being in the same trade as me for some years you may have heard the saying regularly used "Impossibilities done at once, miracles take a little longer"?
Ha ha. Yes, I have seen the posters.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It's all a blur to me.
Nice one.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
sensible parenting, I wish more people would vet their childrens activity. Some of my own family members allow their children to have a fb account and tik tok and they are addicted.
Some of the problem though is that the youngsters know far more about technology than their parents. I was reminded of this some years' ago when a couple of brothers were saying about Parental Controls and what they would do if these were used to prevent them accessing certain websites. "Easy enough, get the original disks and reload the program so it was back to original settings!"

The parents were not too bright, they did their best to ensure their sons were 'guided' as much as possible. Obviously though, they had not kept up with their sons' knowledge of new technology!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 09:25 PM

Excellent post Lion Queen, and much food for thought.
I agree with Pixie and am glad that I didn't discover the internet until I was coming to the end of my working life otherwise I might have turned out very different.

The cons: Bullying, abuse, racism, terrorist and headless chicken groups like Extinction Rebellion, Animal Rights and BLM. Conspiracy theorist's like the BBC, David Attenborough and other mainstream media outlets spewing out unbelievable facts that everyone believes because the establishment wouldn't do that would they.....

The Pros: The brilliant misguided members of OFF....But I still love you all.....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
More Tea Vicar.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The Pros: The brilliant misguided members of OFF....But I still love you all.....
I don't see me in there, Foxy.
Baz46

24-07-2021, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
More Tea Vicar.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
sensible parenting, I wish more people would vet their childrens activity. Some of my own family members allow their children to have a fb account and tik tok and they are addicted.
The result - my daughter has WhatsApp only- no social media.
My son has Instagram to keep up with his mates and WhatsApp of course.

Also both were not permitted to simplify the language when texting me. I prefer the English language. The results are that I don’t get dyslexic texts from them that I have to decipher. I actually don’t think much of people who don’t type in full sentences
Baz46

24-07-2021, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
The result - my daughter has WhatsApp only- no social media.
My son has Instagram to keep up with his mates and WhatsApp of course.

Also both were not permitted to simplify the language when texting me. I prefer the English language. The results are that I don’t get dyslexic texts from them that I have to decipher. I actually don’t think much of people who don’t type in full sentences
How do you ensure that though, Minx? Discipline and trust or something else?

I can only agree with you there, deciphering texts is a 'pet hate' of mine too,
together with the use of so many abbreviations.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top