Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 05:18 PM

Re: I can retire

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
You'll need a hobby Primus. I can highly recommend Flirting.
Get a dog!!
Does wonders for me....
And you can flirt with the lady dog walkers you meet - I do!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Get a dog!!
Does wonders for me....
And you can flirt with the lady dog walkers you meet - I do!
There you go Primus, happy days.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 05:55 PM

Right..a bit of background on me
I am a service engineer repairing commercial laundry equipment, this is my 30th year of doing this, the company I started out with was called warner Howard, you probably know them by the white hand dryers with the big silver nozzle seen just about everywhere, ( not so much now but there are still one or two) we became property of the bank in 1999 after the original owner decided to buy the company back, but unfortunately as the deal was finalised, he found he had a terminal illness, the bank then appointed a guy ( a ruthless womanising bar steward) to run and sell the company in five years , roll on five years and we were sold to PHS. another hygiene company, no one knew what the outcome would be for the laundry side of things, but they rebranded it and all , or most of the old staff, including management were kept on
They got into financial trouble and sold off Laundryserv as we were called, to a company, who, would have been the last people on earth I would want to work for, I’ll be 60 next year, and the plan was to find something less stressful and less hours, so if I can stick it another year, this is what I might do, I’m just glad I’ve got a way out, and even if I had to cash part of my pension in to leave, then this is what I would do, it hasn’t sunk in yet and I’m just waiting for something to happen which means I’ll have to serve out my sentence, after all it is me,
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
You must make your own decision of course, but what I will say is that I don't know anyone who has retired, either at the official age or earlier and is now bored
Neither do I know anyone who retired early and regrets it

I was one of the last to get my bus pass at 60; and I could take a couple of private/occupational pensions
I then worked out that if I gave up my car and used the bus I could afford to retire early, which I did, at 61
I could still get around, and now & again I hired a car, though I bought one when my state pension kicked in at 65

I have no shortage of things to do -

Hiking & backpacking, either on my own or with the Backpackers Club
Making model planes, something I've done since I was a schoolboy
Visiting places - friends, relations, museums, blues festivals
I've started another hobby - knife making, I buy the blades then fit & make the handles & sheaths
So that means I've learned some leatherwork, and I've started to make belts
Something I call, for want of a better description, as "looking at England" - villages, stately homes, castles and so on. And not just the pretty places - I like industrial museums as well
I would start a Men's Shed if I could find anyone to help me

Friends who are retired, early or otherwise, have spent time on their hobbies, like backpacking, golf, fishing, long cycling tours, visiting art galleries; you get the idea
None of these things need cost a vast amount of money

I really don't see how anyone can be bored when they retire
But you do have to have some sort of a plan otherwise there is a tendency to drift
Or as a friend advised me - treat retirement like a job

dream job
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 08:43 PM

You say you need a plan to retire , well if all goes to plan ( sell both my houses and downsize to small cottage /flat/house somewhere) then I plan to buy one of these

https://youtu.be/I1kmzkW9aB4

Made in Finland so to collect it myself and sail it home via Sweden Latvia Estonia Denmark Poland Germany Holland France etc then to finally sail right around the uk at last ( something I’ve always wanted to do )

https://youtu.be/kjabXH9GQe4

Or the Sargo ( both the same boat really )

https://youtu.be/WS1qae6epJU

https://youtu.be/Jr7I5xZosDw
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
You say you need a plan to retire , well if all goes to plan ( sell both my houses and downsize to small cottage /flat/house somewhere) then I plan to buy one of these

– SNIP –
What a brilliant plan that is, hope it works out for you!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 09:33 AM

Sounds perfect Marmy....hope it happens for you.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 10:16 AM

Thanks , been along time planning but fingers crossed it should work out
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 10:49 AM

I hate being retired. It’s the worst thing l have ever done. I retired because there was no point in me working after my ex partner sold his companies and there was no need for either of us to work ever again.

I really believe when you retire, your brain slows down to accommodate your new lifestyle. I miss the buzz and the rapport of being in the workplace.

Yes, l keep myself busy but it’s so easy to put things off until another day! I have joined various groups, l go to pub quizzes, l help with my grandchildren.

Some say, why don’t you do voluntary work? Yes, I did apply but gave up after the intrusive way you are investigated, even for just pushing a tea trolley and serving tea to patients.

I wouldn’t consider volunteering to work in a charity shop, as l can’t stand the smell of them, besides, l’d be sneezing all day with the dust off the donated stuff!
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 10:52 AM

Marmaduke - messing about in boats doesn't interest me, and so that sort of thing wouldn't suit me

But of course, that's not the point - it's what you want, so do it!

And I hope you'll have a really good time

In the travel and Holidays section I posted the Thread 'Bus Pass Travel' about someone who travelled around the country by bus pass
I might try something like that

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top