Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 11:44 AM

In case anyone is interested.

Got done for speeding in January on the A13 near Fords 58mph in a 50mph section.
Over took an idiot swerving about guess he was either on the phone or texting, had to put my foot down to get away from him, but in the end I paid the price.
Now in case anyone is interested because I was wondering myself until yesterday.
I took the Driver Awareness Course it cost £90 and takes up 4 hours of your time but well worth it in my opinion.
Although in the early days when I heard about it I was rather annoyed that dodgy drivers could get away without having points on their licences.
Well after my little mishap I now reckon it ain't a bad idea after all.
There is nothing to worry about its quite simply a class of around 24 and you just go over loads of pointers. You do not have to take any tests.
I was dreading a questionnaire of some kind and having to answer so many right to pass.
In the end it was nothing like that at all.
It is really a very good refresher for those of us that have been driving for 40 years or more and not looked at a highway code book in that time.
Hope this helps if any of you are taking the course.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 12:07 PM

Re: In case anyone is interested.

My Son has done one of those classes too. He enjoyed the experiance.
peripheral
GB
peripheral is male  peripheral has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 12:17 PM

Hi Longfellow, I once took one of those courses to avoid having points. NEVER AGAIN. I think that in my case we just had the wrong teacher. He was a clever dick with a very big 'holier than thou' attitude. I let him know my feelings which made him worse. Other members of the group didn't like him either but they were too reticent to express their feelings.
longfellow
Chatterbox
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by peripheral ->
Hi Longfellow, I once took one of those courses to avoid having points. NEVER AGAIN. I think that in my case we just had the wrong teacher. He was a clever dick with a very big 'holier than thou' attitude. I let him know my feelings which made him worse. Other members of the group didn't like him either but they were too reticent to express their feelings.
The fella we had were up for a laugh so we all had a good day.
Although I must admit its been sometime since I had to spend 4 hours sitting and taking notes and after the mini break we had after 2 hours I was finding it hard to stay awake.
But I did come away with a fair bit more knowledge than I went in with, and my licence is still clean.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 12:32 PM

Not heard of this.
Is it a £90 theory course you take which you pay for but dont get the speeding points on your licence. Do you still have to pay the speeding fine.

I used to have three points on my licence which I got when I was about 23 but they were taken off after three years.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 12:55 PM

I can remember the days when you could drive along that section of the A13 and concentrate on your driving rather than your speedometer.
longfellow
Chatterbox

14-03-2019, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Not heard of this.
Is it a £90 theory course you take which you pay for but dont get the speeding points on your licence. Do you still have to pay the speeding fine.

I used to have three points on my licence which I got when I was about 23 but they were taken off after three years.
You just have to pay the £90 for the course MC no points and no fine.
One thing he did say that I found interesting was people with high earnings like footballer's have to pay a heavier fine based on their earnings.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 01:06 PM

Problem is Longfellow, the bloke who should have been prosecuted has got away scott free....They got the wrong man!
longfellow
Chatterbox

14-03-2019, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I can remember the days when you could drive along that section of the A13 and concentrate on your driving rather than your speedometer.
I remember driving down that way when I worked for Johnny Menzies taking all the old papers to the mill down that way and it were just a single carriageway in those days, and yer right LD not a camera in sight.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
I remember driving down that way when I worked for Johnny Menzies taking all the old papers to the mill down that way and it were just a single carriageway in those days, and yer right LD not a camera in sight.
From Poplar to Thurrock is just one giant speed trap now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top