Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 05:57 PM

German potato dumplings

I was watching an old film of german life after ww2 and i saw a family making and eating potato dumplings. Looked delicious. It was their main meal of the day. Sorry to say, i've never had them but it is now on my "to do" list.

Has anyone made them ? Any tips to offer? Pitfalls ?

Plenty of recipes on the web, which, of course, i'll follow. But other advice appreciated.:-d

one thing i noticed is that there seems to be a huge difference in how long to properly simmer the dumplings.

Thinking of serving them with bratwurst and perhaps sauerkraut AND OR HOMEMADE APPLE SAUCE
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 06:19 PM

Re: German potato dumplings

I'm not sure if they are similar to Knödel which we had on a trip to Prague. They were absolutely delicious filled with either meat or fruit. But....when I tried to make them back home I failed abysmally and they all fell apart in a floury mess. I think they are common in quite a few European countries and a bit like gnocchi in Italy too.

There's a knack to making them, so looking forward to some tips from others. May give it another go now you've reminded me of their deliciousness.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I'm not sure if they are similar to Knödel which we had on a trip to Prague. They were absolutely delicious filled with either meat or fruit. But....when I tried to make them back home I failed abysmally and they all fell apart in a floury mess. I think they are common in quite a few European countries and a bit like gnocchi in Italy too.

There's a knack to making them, so looking forward to some tips from others. May give it another go now you've reminded me of their deliciousness.
The videos I've seen thus far, show that the potato dumplings are nothing like gnocchi. Gnocchi are quite small and have a firm texture, and the dumplings are about the size of a golf ball and appear to be 'fluffy' in texture.

In any event it will be fun to make and give me something to do to relieve to boredom I'm feeling from being housebound due to Covid.

I dreamed about then last night and I am overflowing with ideas of how to make them . I'm especially drawn towards covering them with bacon bits and a brown butter.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 11:44 PM

Bakerman we will have to virtually make them together and then compare results via photos on here! I can guarantee yours will be more impressive. Do you have a generic recipe?
bakerman
Mexico

20-02-2021, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Bakerman we will have to virtually make them together and then compare results via photos on here! I can guarantee yours will be more impressive. Do you have a generic recipe?
Yes. Just search for 'recipes German potato dumplings'. You will see numerous recipes and then locate the one for "Taste of Home".

I just completed the 1st try. It was ok, I guess but nothing to shout about. Next time I'll up the nutmeg and salt/pepper a tad. also I'll brown off some bacon and chop it up, adding that to the browned butter.

however, I imagine that serving the dumplings with sauerbraten will be the way to go. I think the spicy/vinegary beef will nicely offset the blandness of the dumplings.
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 08:28 AM

I remember them because my mum's were delicious and we had them regularly. Just as there are a lot of recipes on the web, there are many variants handed down in families living in different regions. People understand different things by "potato dumplings". You'd have to specify what you have in mind.

In Thuringia they prefer a variant called "Half 'n' half" which means they are partly made of cooked potatoes and partly of raw (rasped) ones. Just like this lady's mother in the link did, my mother also made "half-silk" dumplings but I didn't like them so much. It was like unnecessary experimenting to me.

Unfortunately, I'd never been something of a great cook when I was younger and when I was taking a greater interest my mum had passed away. I once tried to make them from memory but the result was poor. I know some things, though. Our dumplings were made of cooked potatoes only. I remember my mother mashing them with a potato ricer (see picture), adding two eggs and kneading the dough like bakers do when making bread. She added a pinch of nutmeg, too, which gave it a spicy flavour. What also makes them delicious was butter-fried roll or white bread croutons put in the middle. When opened they would look fluffy which is the main difference to Czech or Bohemian "Knedl" that are solid and always served in slices. Our warm dumplings can't be cut, they are torn open. Often served with roulades or Sauerbraten with gravy and red cabbage.

Her recipe comes closest to my understanding of potato dumplings German style. Now that I've read her recipe I'd stand a fair chance of making them far better than in my first attempt. Enjoy them.
https://www.quick-german-recipes.com...dumplings.html
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dachs ->
I remember them because my mum's were delicious and we had them regularly. Just as there are a lot of recipes on the web, there are many variants handed down in families living in different regions. People understand different things by "potato dumplings". You'd have to specify what you have in mind.

In Thuringia they prefer a variant called "Half 'n' half" which means they are partly made of cooked potatoes and partly of raw (rasped) ones. Just like this lady's mother in the link did, my mother also made "half-silk" dumplings but I didn't like them so much. It was like unnecessary experimenting to me.

Unfortunately, I'd never been something of a great cook when I was younger and when I was taking a greater interest my mum had passed away. I once tried to make them from memory but the result was poor. I know some things, though. Our dumplings were made of cooked potatoes only. I remember my mother mashing them with a potato ricer (see picture), adding two eggs and kneading the dough like bakers do when making bread. She added a pinch of nutmeg, too, which gave it a spicy flavour. What also makes them delicious was butter-fried roll or white bread croutons put in the middle. When opened they would look fluffy which is the main difference to Czech or Bohemian "Knedl" that are solid and always served in slices. Our warm dumplings can't be cut, they are torn open. Often served with roulades or Sauerbraten with gravy and red cabbage.

Her recipe comes closest to my understanding of potato dumplings German style. Now that I've read her recipe I'd stand a fair chance of making them far better than in my first attempt. Enjoy them.
https://www.quick-german-recipes.com...dumplings.html
Thanks for sharing. I’m going to try this. There’s a German store close to home so I’ll try to get the accompanying dishes there!
bakerman
Mexico

21-02-2021, 07:43 PM

Unfortunately, I'd never been something of a great cook when I was younger and when I was taking a greater interest my mum had passed away. I once tried to make them from memory but the result was poor. I know some things, though. Our dumplings were made of cooked potatoes only. I remember my mother mashing them with a potato ricer (see picture), adding two eggs and kneading the dough like bakers do when making bread. She added a pinch of nutmeg, too, which gave it a spicy flavour. What also makes them delicious was butter-fried roll or white bread croutons put in the middle. When opened they would look fluffy which is the main difference to Czech or Bohemian "Knedl" that are solid and always served in slices. Our warm dumplings can't be cut, they are torn open. Often served with roulades or Sauerbraten
I don't understand. What do you mean, They can't be cut ?
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 09:14 PM

I meant they can't be sliced.
bakerman
Mexico

22-02-2021, 12:54 AM

I meant they can't be sliced.
I still don't understand. How is it possible that potato dumplings can't be sliced ??? They are made from potatoes, flour, eggs bread crumbs not metal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top