Join for free
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2013, 10:54 PM

The Landfill Harmonic Orchestra

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=UJrSUHK9Luw

This is really interesting. By the way does anyone remember skiffle the instruments were made of all kinds of things.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2013, 11:06 PM

Re: The Landfill Harmonic Orchestra

I was in a group Cookie. My instrument was a double bass made from a tea chest, a broom handle and a piece of string. Sometimes it was a washboard and a wooden peg. Happy days.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 08:44 AM

Yep - loved Lonnie Donnegan, great musician and entertainer ....
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 10:42 AM

Hang Down your Head Tom Dooley poor boy your gonna die.

Remember it well. My big brother also played the wash board and I thought he was amazing. My mum didn't as she swore he would break the washboard. My dad used to play the spoons while mum tooted on a comb covered with a Quality Street chocolate wrapper. That was music but when I started to learn the violin, a proper violin they all ganged up and asked me to play 'Far Away'.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
Hang Down your Head Tom Dooley poor boy your gonna die.

Remember it well. My big brother also played the wash board and I thought he was amazing. My mum didn't as she swore he would break the washboard. My dad used to play the spoons while mum tooted on a comb covered with a Quality Street chocolate wrapper. That was music but when I started to learn the violin, a proper violin they all ganged up and asked me to play 'Far Away'.

Here you are Cate darlin' - just for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6bFTVi0hHs
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 01:45 PM

My friend and I saw Lonnie Donegan at the Hippodrome back in the 50's - he was brilliant and many of the audience joined in singing along with him. After the show we queued at the theatre back door to get his autograph. I wish I had kept my autograph book now, it was full of various stars' signatures over the years.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 01:59 PM

Lonnie wrote - The Partys Over ... theres a beauty ....
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

27-05-2013, 02:02 PM

My brother knew Lonnie Donegan and when I was about five Lonnie asked my brother if I could take part in a Pantomime he was doing, as the Pantomime cat. After much discussion I am sad to say that I never did play the cat and have often wondered where that path may have lead, although at five it probably wouldn't have gone far.

Thanks Uncle Joe for the Chewing gum on the bedpost song which went on to remind me of My old Man's a dustman.

I was always impressed by Lonnie Donegan as my brother said he had a little gold guitar as a door knocker.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 08:50 PM

Very enjoyable report Cate.
Yes I too loved lonnie Donegan, "Putting on the style" especially, at our local Cinema during the interval the young boys and girls would start walking up and down the aisles, doing just that as the music played, as someone here once said "The things you see when you haven't got a gun"
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2013, 11:45 AM

The Landfill Harmonic Orchestra

A unique orchestra in South America made up entirely of instruments made from scrap heap rubbish.

The Recycled Orchestra is the creation of Favio Chávez, a landfill worker and musician from Paraguay.

Cateura exists virtually on top of a landfill site where residents make their livings recycling and selling other people's rubbish.

Situated along the banks of the Paraguay River, 1,500 tons of waste is dumped in the area each day.

http://tinyurl.com/an3nxqq

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top