Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Duckie
Australia
Duckie is male  Duckie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2013, 11:12 PM

How would you describe your personality?

And has it changed much since 20 or 30 years ago?

OK here goes, the brutal truth.

I'm no man's man despite playing rugby up to age 25. that was about the only manly thing I did. I'm quite feminine really. Don't like confrontation. I'm no leader despite having tried teaching elementary school for 10 years. I hated being the centre of attention and the responsibility that came with it. I like playing a behind the scenes role, don't need the glory. I play classical guitar. Love reading especially new age stuff about spirituality despite being quite unspiritual a lot of the time. Still love a beer. Still love to watch Australian football. Up the mighty Tigers

And as I've got older I've become more feminine and less afraid to hide it. In Australia, femininity was equated with gayness. And I'm highly hetero . I think when I was young I was trying to be something I wasn't ie. a macho leader, a tough independent man. But now I realise Im more suited to interdependence.
OH I still have a shyness streak, especially in a group of peers. hate public speaking. I'm NOT cool under pressure. I'm not naturally practical/pragmatic. I am NOT a handyman. (poor wife!) I'm still very much a day-dreamer. I'd rather read a book than work in the garden. Have a lazy streak as well. yeah that's the truth. Warts and all.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2013, 11:20 PM

Re: How would you describe your personality?

Self analysis can be difficult, it is sometimes best left to others to judge who you are, at the differing stages of a life span.
astrolady
Field
astrolady is female  astrolady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2013, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Self analysis can be difficult, it is sometimes best left to others to judge who you are, at the differing stages of a life span.
I totally agree with Spitfire.
We tend to change with the times and circumstances of our lives. We're all individuals and as long as we don't hurt anyone else on this planet i believe we grow stronger.

As for being "macho" i think you'll find most women like a man to show his emotions. Why pretend to be something you're not ? There's nothing "wimpish" about a man having a good cry....we are all human beings and all have the same needs... to be loved and respected.
Duckie
Australia
Duckie is male  Duckie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2013, 11:47 PM

Oh that's also a big part of my personality. Self-analysis.

You may as well know now than find out later.
Anyway I prefer to call it "self-awareness".
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2013, 11:47 PM

Everyone loves talking about themselves...

Let me think who I am?

Well I will say this. I am one extreme person and have always been so. I have excelled in a lot of things including sport. The fact that I can analyze things to such an extent and apply my own unique reasoning has helped me throughout my life. I seem to suffer from too much brain power lol which makes me a difficult person to live with. Without intense intellectual activity I become bored in no time. I am always up to something as a result.

I work around the clock on servers, computers and websites which satisfies me totally for now. Strangely enough, or perhaps not, I find life boring a lot of the time, and I also find a lot of people are too. Not that I look down on anyone but I can't be around them (people who don't think much) for long periods without feeling like my head is about to explode.

I love music and play the guitar using finger picks. I have taught myself a pretty unique way of combining the blues lead guitar scales with an acoustic guitar. I can literally shut my eyes and play how I feel. It can be very satisfying and cathartic.

I still run a fair bit even at my age - 56 - and have done so for many years. It is probably the fact that I have taken care of my vitamin and mineral intake that has resulted in my joints and muscles being pain free. Quite an achievement when you consider I used to run 60-80 miles a week in my 40s and more when younger. Marvellous way to unwind and take stock of any situation. To become so fit as to be able to run 10 miles without batting an eyelid where you just take in the scenery whilst getting in touch with your body is such a tonic. Great way to think over a problem too as the miles fly past. Fabulous sport and one I intend to keep going for as long as possible.

I live alone at the moment though that could well change at some point, even if it is only to get another cat .

I find life has much to offer and there isn't enough time to explore but a small fraction of it in one lifetime - which is a shame. Who knows what lies ahead though and being somewhat older and wiser should help I think.
Duckie
Australia

28-05-2013, 11:52 PM

^
I envy the running. It used to get rid of my stress. But spondylolisthesis stopped that. Also my brother did a lot of running but he had to get a hip replacement because of it. You are doing well to be doing it at 56. Your body size/shape must be ideal for it.
Duckie
Australia

28-05-2013, 11:57 PM

Everyone loves talking about themselves...
let me analyse that.

Some people don't. They prefer to keep their cards close to their chest. Yes and some people love talking and it's usually the boasting kind, putting themselves in a very positive light, showing all their profound knowledge. I don't mind people talking about themselves when they aren't afraid to hide their shortcomings or when they f****ed up.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by youngatart ->
^
I envy the running. It used to get rid of my stress. But spondylolisthesis stopped that. Also my brother did a lot of running but he had to get a hip replacement because of it. You are doing well to be doing it at 56. Your body size/shape must be ideal for it.
Sorry to hear about your ailments - and your brothers - which has put a stop to your running. And yes I suppose my body is suited to running. I have been out for an 8 mile run this evening in fact which took me to the top of a small mountain and back down through forestry. Great way to get some fresh air .
Duckie
Australia

29-05-2013, 12:04 AM

Sounds beautiful!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

29-05-2013, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by youngatart ->
let me analyse that.

Some people don't. They prefer to keep their cards close to their chest.
Ah, but you can chat about yourself without revealing much at all, which is what I have done I think. To reveal too much on a public forum, especially amongst such thinkers eager for titbits and background info on a person, is just asking for trouble . After all none of us are that interesting. And if you think you are then more than likely you are not but just egotistical.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top