Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 06:41 PM

Seeing is believing

Went to the Post Office this morning, a Romanian - Slavinian ? went up to the counter shoved papers before the clerk and asked her to post them ....
She said - envelopes are over there, put in envelope and address it....
She told us this happens often, either a letter or papers passed over to post !!!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 08:47 PM

Re: Seeing is believing

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Went to the Post Office this morning, a Romanian - Slavinian ? went up to the counter shoved papers before the clerk and asked her to post them ....
She told us this happens often, either a letter or papers passed over to post !!!
Imagine being in a foreign country and not knowing hardly any of the basics of everyday life. It must be horrendous and very frightening I should think. Makes you wonder how such people live here though? I mean what are the qualifications to get into this country or have they come from a war torn one and are being allowed to live here regardless?
fitou143
Essex
fitou143 is male  fitou143 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 08:55 PM

That will be nothing when next year the Bulgarian and Romanians will be on there way over here 1.5 million out of work between the 2 countries. No prizes for guessing where they will be financially better off. Why do you think UKIP did so well in the latest local elections, because immigration is the biggest problem foremost in peoples minds.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 10:23 AM

Surely even from a foreign country they know that a letter has to go in an evelope!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Surely even from a foreign country they know that a letter has to go in an evelope!
Just found this experience so astounding, as I felt the same when I witnessed it, 'surely you send letters etc in romania !'
Just bemused - not intended to be a thread re - immigrants ..
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 12:57 PM

Was it was a tourist? Will their impression of the service in the UK post office be very good?

I have been in Post Offices in many countries where my understanding of the language is poor and they have been very helpful.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

30-05-2013, 01:07 PM

No - not tourists Bruce, we are inundated here with immigrants ...
I get what your saying tho' - that was my first reaction, 2nd was how do they get on in their own country when posting letters .....
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 01:27 PM

Here's one from the other side of the counter......

The local sub-post office was run by a sikh family and the wife was the post mistress. One cold morning I was in the queue behind a number of elderly women who all said the same thing "I suppose you find it a bit cold in this country".

Eventually she said in an exasperated voice - "I come from LEEDS!"
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

30-05-2013, 01:30 PM

Sorry - cant help it .......

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 10:16 PM

No - not tourists Bruce, we are inundated here with immigrants ...
I get what your saying tho' - that was my first reaction, 2nd was how do they get on in their own country when posting letters .....
...but how do you tell if they are tourists or immigrants? And why would you treat them differently?

To be fair you have about the same number of net immigrants per year as we do (approx 180000 per year). Even though personally I think it is an unsustainable figure in the long term it is hardly inundated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top