Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 10:22 PM

Unforgettable characters in your lifetime.

Mine has to be the wild and wonderful Flam Boyant, what a character.
Gibbons once said of him "He's a sort of painter, writer, actor and very enthusiastic wanker.", but that's Gibbons for you, no tact whatsoever. I think of him as a man after his time, if you know what I mean, his 'Wild West' parties where the guests all arrived in costume on horseback, or his 'Roman Evenings' when he sent out two specially made chariots to pick up the guests. The 'Robin Hood' weekends in the Kerry mountains were always popular too, although some with fatal consequences that were never talked about, they were just buried in costume where they fell, and mothers, wives and girlfriends told that they had bunked off to America, being on the west coast and all. Yes my friends, a man who carried his childhood into his future, and the fact that he met his death from a stray arrow while practicing his archery skills sums up his love of adventure, I hope he's still treating his fellow angels to his unique brand of fun and frolics in the great beyond.
Flam Boyent, died in May 1983, 30 years old and now 30 years dead and fun will never be the same again, but he will always be remembered by those who loved him, you can 'Google' 'til you're blue in the face and never find anything on him, our Flam stayed well below the radar.
Here is a rare shot of Flam as a Roman soldier, I have brushed out the head of his butler (Jeremy), it was lying at his feet with bulging eyes and the tongue sticking out, quite unsightly, Jeremy was unfortunate enough to be chosen as an opponent when there were no volunteers. Indeed they say that if you visit Ballycook Castle at midnight you might get a glimpse of the headless butler as he aimlessly searches for his head.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 10:47 PM

Re: Unforgettable characters in your lifetime.

Met quite a few "Unforgettable" characters, the prevailing memory of them was that they had scant regard for their own existence, and left this life early, exit stage door left.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 09:50 AM

Very good Jem. I was trying to think of someone unforgetable but two problems: they'd be nowhere near as good as Flam and secondly, if I can't remember them then....
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 10:09 AM

Jem, that gave me a good laugh, you are gifted.

I've been influenced by many outstanding human beings, most of whom were unaware of being special & that was part of their charm.
From the first love of my life,Miss Blake. My first teacher & vision of fluffy pink perfumed full breasted womanhood. To Mr Simpkin, my early role model at "Grace Brothers" and whose rather distinctive manner of walking & ramrod back I copied. THat is until I discovered he had massive piles.

Aah memories!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 01:26 PM

Oh dear - I'm off .....

Thanks Jem and Robert
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 01:55 PM

The 'old' movie stars - loved 'em - real characters then ....and,..... they 'moved !'
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 08:42 PM

My Dad, a wonderful, funny, generous, kind, honest human being! One in a million!
Duckie
Australia
Duckie is male  Duckie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 09:48 PM

A college friend I made about 35 years ago. Once I invited him home to meet my parents and he immediately offered to start cooking for them. My parents allowed him to and were in awe of his generous spirit. So was I! His maturity was beyond his years.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

31-05-2013, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
My Dad, a wonderful, funny, generous, kind, honest human being! One in a million!
Lucky gal Twiz - loverly to hear that
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2013, 05:01 AM

My Great Uncle Wally - he was a 'character'. Always full of fun and loved playing practical jokes on everyone - his 'parties' were wild affairs.

Always remember Dragon telling us one of theings he did - borrowed my Grandad's pith helmet (grandad worked abroad) and my Grandmother's garden prop. Rolled his trousers up above his knees and marched off down Grandparents back garden. (half way down was a trellis). At bottom of garden, still carrying garden prop he turned and ran back, dug garden prop in soil and swung up on it, intending to vault over trellis. He was high in the air and horizontal when prop snapped in two and he crashed down on top of trellis and flattened it.

All my great aunts (Aunt Black, Aunt Doll and Uncle Henry, Aunt Kit (Uncle Wally's Wife) plus my Grandparents and Dragon. Aunt Black collapsed in appoplexis, (every one thought she was having a heart attack - but she couldn't move for laughter and turned blue), Aunt Doll had tears streaming down her face, Uncle Henry and my Grandad went to pick up Uncle Wally, both of them laughing like a drain, Aunt Kit (with tears of laughter streaming down her face was also unable to move, and there was Uncle Wally, laying face down in the (dried) earth smothered in dust and dirt, tring to pick himself up out of the trellis work. He was uninjured (apart from his pride being somewhat battered).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top