Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 06:28 PM

Just Curious

When you go abroad on holiday, what is the medical card that you take with you - is it a form of insurance ?
On the news - they said that parts of Spain were not accepting these cards. As I am unable to travel, I was just curious as the EU are going to intervene .....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 06:32 PM

Re: Just Curious

I can't remember the name of the card but it's one that allows you to medical treatment if you need it. I always had my own insurance as the Spaniards can be a bit funny about the use of their version of the NHS.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 06:36 PM

It is the European Health Insurance Card which should entitle EU citizens to free healthcare in public hospitals.
but it seems it is being rejected in some countries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22714147

We have never had to use one but we always make sure we have our own full independant Travel Insurance cover whenever we go abroad on holiday.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 06:36 PM

So this card is not a form of insurance then ....?
EDIT - thanks Mags - we crossed-over there ....
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 06:44 PM

All countries which belong to the EU are supposed to recognise the EHIC card and give free medical treatment to all who have that card.Some hospitals in Spain are "illegally" refusing to accept the card and are demanding payment either from the patient or that person's holiday insurers. The EU commissioners are threatening to fine Spain for this illegal act. My wife has just had to renew her card at a cost of £19.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 07:25 PM

Even with the EHIC card you still need insurance, because the card only allows the treatment free.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 08:09 PM

We take the EHIC card but also take private medical insurance with us as well as a back-up just in case. I used my EHIC card in Spain last year at a walk-in clinic to have an ear syringed - no problem and no charge.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 08:23 PM

here you go pats

http://www.nhs-e111-ehic.org.uk/?gcl...Fc3HtAodECcATw
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Stella H ->
We take the EHIC card but also take private medical insurance with us as well as a back-up just in case. I used my EHIC card in Spain last year at a walk-in clinic to have an ear syringed - no problem and no charge.
My husband had a very unpleasant accident in Spain and we reached the 24 hour clinic in Teulada (unmanned - you gotta love them) and a doctor was called out. Although the treatment was somewhat basic (to put it politely), they dealt with his injury and never asked for his insurance and no payment was requested there either. It probably depends on where you are in Spain.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 08:34 PM

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised at the treatment I received, just had to show my EHIC and sign and was treated straight away - no waiting around either. This was near Barcelona.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top