Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 02:36 PM

Apocolypse now?

I've been watching 'The Walking Dead' a show featuring zombies and during an apocalypse and I was wondering what would happen if we were to have a real apocalypse, d'you think that most would revert to traditional gender roles with the blokes being the defender/ hunter /gatherers and the womenfolk (!) doing the 'chores' ?
or are we too far advanced to go back.?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 02:39 PM

Re: Apocolypse now?

I'll just sit here as Lord & Master and issue my orders!!!!
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 02:46 PM

Oh UJ, somehow I don't think that would happen, unless of course you were skinning a rabbit at the time and asking someone to fetch you a knife
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 02:56 PM

I have a feeling we would see all those with practical skills and not reliant on the internet and mobiles for their lives would be the ones who ran the show. Awful lot of people couldn't cope and would give up very easily.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 03:46 PM

I agree with Julie Being a woman of the many decades I have noticed a lack of ability in the younger generations. They are good at texting and using modern electronic machines but a lot have no ability for a survival situation.
I have felt for a long time that most would not survive in the situation you mention. They have no idea how to find herbs and food, unless they were in the scouts and guides do they know how to light a fire? It was general knowledge when I was younger. Hope it doesn't happen though. First aid, cooking, and survival should be taught at school nowadays.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by maggis ->

and the womenfolk (!) doing the 'chores' ?
What! What! <splutter splutter> an apocolypse has happened and I'd be expected to wash up

or are we too far advanced to go back.?
Would probably depend when it happened, if it was quite soon I think we'd be okay as there's enough around with various skills that could pass them onto others. 100 years or so could be a different story ...
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 08:54 PM

i would grow the food, chop the wood and take care of the animals .... Hubby would hoover and shoot any buggers that come to steal our goods ....
I know all my wild plants and herbs that I can eat as well as mushrooms nuts and berries ... I'll be ok jack....
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 08:57 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. No way after all the trouble with planning and expense would there not be some out of town shopping malls still going. Apocolypse proofing was built into them.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I wouldn't worry about it. No way after all the trouble with planning and the expense would there not be some out of town shopping malls still going. Apocolypse proofing was built into them.
Thank goodness for that MKJ - I can still shop 'til I drop - so I say women will be the hunter gatherers in the mall. Hold on a minute! if there is an apocalypse what am I gonna do for cash? - I know! - I'll sell my husband.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia

01-06-2013, 12:01 PM

Guess I've watched too many 'prepper' shows but it amazes me just how prepared some folks are and not just in the USA, there's 'preppers' in the UK with concrete bunkers near their homes stocked with survival stuff and most of them have weapons of some sort to protect their hoard.
One bloke in Denmark uses a slingshot, bow and arrows and snares to trap and kill animals for food, says he's been practicing for years and his kids can kill,skin and cook them too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top