Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Marmark1
Devon
Marmark1 is female  Marmark1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 09:46 AM

Re: Scum giving Brits (and football) a bad name

Agree with you Mups.
Hate football anyway,overpaid morons,some of them.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 10:56 AM

The interesting thing here is that someone caught the scene for us all to see. How often do these things go on unrecorded, I wonder?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 11:01 AM

Makes you feel sick - any excuse to be vile
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 11:16 AM

Having been to both football and rugby matches I can say I think I know why it happens.

At rugby matches if someone says something racist or just unpleasant the crowd around them will turn and say stop that, don't spoil it, etc no violence just words.
At football matches if someone does it the crowd around them either join in or look straight ahead, they don't say a thing and expect either to get away with it or for someone else to deal with it..

Different cultures have grown up around the games. I am not sure how to change it but I do think I understand it.
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 12:18 PM

What get me with racist football supporters half the players in their team they support are black , and they are worship like gods , talk about being thick
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Markey1 ->
What get me with racist football supporters half the players in their team they support are black , and they are worship like gods , talk about being thick

Ive wondered about that but you do see black players getting racially abused sometimes.

Some people say that some sport and especially football is a substitute for fighting battles so people like to get very tribal about their team and identity even down to race.
Racism is not very bright really, colour is skin deep and our insides are exactly the same.
What is different is culture in different parts of the world and when cultures clash that's a whole other minefield.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 12:34 PM

Actually if you heard the language at the matches you would see not everyone worships the players !
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 12:34 PM

¨Giving football a bad name¨ - isn´t that an oxymoron, or tautology...?
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
Ive wondered about that but you do see black players getting racially abused sometimes.

Some people say that some sport and especially football is a substitute for fighting battles so people like to get very tribal about their team and identity even down to race.
Racism is not very bright really, colour is skin deep and our insides are exactly the same.
What is different is culture in different parts of the world and when cultures clash that's a whole other minefield.

I go to arsenal fair bit , only 10 minutes down the road , course around here it's mainly arsenal supporters , the ones I come across with that are racist , the black players that play in their team are like gods if they playing well , no body can say a bad word against them , but the same people will go to a match and if away team scores and it's a black player that scored against them , then they will shout racist abuse at that player ,

Been to Spain and Turkey with arsenal or England play , the Turks are will chanting monkey in their thousands, been to Spain and they are the same , think uk supporter are quite tame compare to some other European country's ,

Regarding these Chelsea supporters on the train , there's a hard core of old school Chelsea supporters that are right wing , going back to the days of the Chelsea head hunters , and combat 18 , but in all walks of life your going to get racist , it's just not a football illness,

But your right it's is a mine field , more complex than colour in many cases
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 02:28 PM

Yes racism is very much alive.
I suppose football is so mainstream in so many countries including here, and such large numbers follow the teams that we see it on our screens at matches and in football crowds like the supporters on that train.
It's a bit depressing really that it's so common, football does sometimes seem more like war than a game/sport as you see real hatred for the opposite team and violence breaking out as well as the racial stuff.
I guess that's human nature.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top