Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2010, 08:39 AM

Re: CH boiler

Is that a combi Suey? Not sure about those, combi's I mean. Although I've heard they are good in flats.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2010, 11:38 PM

Yes Val it is a combi it's a Glow-worm Flexicom and so far so good we are pleased with it our last gas bill was reasonable too considering the winter we have had...
Sue
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2010, 08:01 AM

I'm sure our bill will be sky high, trouble is when you get older and can't move around as quick you get colder. My nephew had a combi and was pleased with it but his bath water did run slow. I guess its what suits the individual.We're having a log fire put in so hopefully next winter I'll be cosy.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2010, 01:56 PM

It's a case of take your pick and what suits you the best, . . those combi boilers are made of thin mild steel which rust like hell when in service, . . the steel in some heat exchangers are not much thicker than your car's bodywork and we all know how quickly cars rust.

Cast iron on the other hand lasts a lifetime, . . just look at the cast iron guttering on your house.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2010, 08:36 AM

We're lucky enough to have plumbers in the larger family. The boiler went wrong a couple of times. Although they offered to repair it, we decided to get a new one instead. They put in a Glow-Worm. That was about 3 - 4 years ago and no problems so far. The gas bill is always affordable.

As an aside, when it comes to gas usage, it's surprising how much can be saved by always cooking with lids on the saucepans. The gas can be wound right down and the water is still kept on the boil. The gas might need to be near the higher setting with no lid on the pan.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top