Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 08:11 AM

Boiler!

Well today work starts on our new boiler installation - can't say I'm looking forward to this!

The old back boiler has to come out, along with a gas fire in front of it, tanks come out too - didn't realise that!

Floors all being lifted so carpets up - holes will be drilled for pipes and a new flue and the drain - all in all it's going to be chaos - and we are paying for this!

We must be mad!

All the lounge / diner furniture's had to be moved up one end, the door's now off and the dining table's in pieces in th shed.

Other bits 'n bobs are now in bedrooms and to cap it all, no hot water for at least two days!

Hope it's worth it this Combi boiler 'cos we'll have holes to fill and a chimney to board up too. stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 11:21 AM

Re: Boiler!

Sounds like a lot of stress and disruption Steve hope it's all worth while in the end.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 11:39 AM

Think positive Steve.
When I changed to a combi boiler I was well pleased and haven't looked back.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 11:54 AM

No pain.......
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 12:00 PM

Well it's going on well so far.

We didn't realise just how much disruption it would be but we are thinking positive and hoping this Combi Boiler is as good as Nick says and does save us a bit of money on the gas bill AND hopefully, make it a bit warmer too.

Pity we couldn't afford the external wall insulation but this is the next best thing we can do in our house.

After that we have to save up again to get it all primed and painted outside which should help a little and maybe a new back door and double glazed toilet window to reduce the heat loss there too!

We have a number of cracks in the render so I'm positive we are getting water in between the render and the brick which is causing damp in certain places as we thought it was the damp course and had that done only to find we still had problems. stevmk2
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 12:35 PM

You'll be so glad you did it, Steve, they're so much better than the old back boilers, take up less room, constant hot water but only when it's needed so, hopefully, a lower bill!.
We had one at our last house and put one in here when we moved 4yrs ago, Baxi, never had any problems, touch wood...
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 01:10 PM

We too have a combi boiler and like it very much. There wasn't much disruption for us though as the boiler is not in the house, it's in a sort of utility room built onto the house. Ours too is Baxi and so far Baxi in Spain have been excellent, they ring us when it's due for an annual service to ask when it's convenient to come, which is just as well because I'm sure we wouldn't think about it.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 05:25 PM

Been there-and I was without heating and hot water for 5 weeks during that cold period between mid Feb and mid March. And not cheap either. We get through.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 06:09 PM

We had our boiler fitted in 2009 not too much disruption but it's worth it for the cheaper bills, it helps that we had the walls and loft insulated too
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 11:22 PM

I know the feeling; taking my boilers out was a bit of a bugger.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top