Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2016, 09:48 AM

Rattan Garden Furniture

My wife wants to entertain in the garden so we needed some decent garden furniture.

We looked all over and it's so expensive we thought we'd have to go for metal or plastic again but then I found Rattan Warehouse - http://www.rattanwarehouse.co.uk/

We've ordered a round table with six chairs, table has reinforced glass top and we get a big parasol too with free delivery - all weather-resistant rattan on aluminium frames with a 2-year warranty for £579.

The closest we saw to that locally at a Garden Centre was £1250, without a parasol!

I thought maybe some members would be interested.

That's the last of our Moving House money spent now as this boiler is costing us £3000 altogether! stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2016, 11:48 AM

Re: Rattan Garden Furniture

Sounds good Steve, not for us as last lot of rattan furniture was basically eaten by chihuahuas, little boggers got underneath and quietly undermind the foundations of it. I no longer trust Betty not to try it again
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2016, 03:05 PM

Hope you have somewhere to store it, Steve, it will soon start to wear, otherwise.
I opted for the metal table and chairs outside, easier to clean up when necessary - often, some years..
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2016, 03:49 PM

A word of warning for your Rattan Furniture.
I bought a similar set to those pictured in your link. The Rattan table has a glass top, with seats that tuck right under the table to form a neat square when not in use.
After 4 years, most of the rattan under the glass top has cracked and collapsed in on itself. The rest of the table & the chairs are fine but it's ruined the whole set.
I assume that the glass top has somehow increased the effect of the heating & cooling of the changing seasons and made the Rattan beneath the glass too brittle.
Although this furniture is advertised as "all weather" , with hindsight, I wish I hadn't left it out all year round - or maybe using a specially made cover when not in use would have helped.
I hope your new garden furniture lasts you longer than mine did.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2016, 04:00 PM

I do like the rattan furniture but we went for the metal ones when we bought some a few years ago.

We had wooden before that which lasted quite a lot of years before it had to be thrown.

I am sure it will look good in your garden Stevmk2.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2016, 09:12 PM

As it happens, we have just bought one of these:

http://www.duplay.co.uk/8-piece-sant...EL-RoCQYDw_wcB

which is mostly aluminium apart from some steel nuts and bolts, and claims to be rust proof.
I just put it together the other day and I have to say that it looks very nice. One essential addition, though, is a heavy cast iron base for the parasol that can withstand moderate winds.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Boot ->
A word of warning for your Rattan Furniture.
I bought a similar set to those pictured in your link. The Rattan table has a glass top, with seats that tuck right under the table to form a neat square when not in use.
After 4 years, most of the rattan under the glass top has cracked and collapsed in on itself. The rest of the table & the chairs are fine but it's ruined the whole set.
I assume that the glass top has somehow increased the effect of the heating & cooling of the changing seasons and made the Rattan beneath the glass too brittle.
Although this furniture is advertised as "all weather" , with hindsight, I wish I hadn't left it out all year round - or maybe using a specially made cover when not in use would have helped.
I hope your new garden furniture lasts you longer than mine did.
We bought them at work for the residents and I've noticed the same effect already, with all of the tables and these were not cheap either!

We have decided to go for covers and what we want are the ones where it all stand in the cover if possible as our chairs will all tuck under the round table.
Failing that, I'll "adapt" something! stevmk2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

01-06-2016, 08:23 PM

Found a cover on Amazon - ordered it yeaterday - got it today - fits perfectly and is more than up for the job!

Covers the table easily with 4 chairs tucked in and cover goes to floor with steel eyelets so we've tied it up tight - just gotta get a stacking chair cover for the other two chairs now.

The cover cost £14.70 - free delivery! stevmk2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top