Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2016, 08:49 AM

Re: Bath

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I notice the Australian humour (or is it just inappropriateness?) could do with a good wash!
They do humour ? oh i forgot, Cell block H and Neighbours, they were funny.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2016, 10:24 PM

I'd hate to be without a bath. You can't beat a good old soak to ease the pain or just for a relaxing soak.

Most places I've live in have had a shower over the bath. This place has a bath and a separate corner shower.
Posh
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2016, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
We do have a shower over the bath but we never take baths just showers and its a hassle climbing in and out of the bath just to have a shower!!
this was our problem too, in fact we would never manage climbing into the bath now.
well worth thinking about if you have knee/hip problems.

so we had ours (9x6) small bathroom gutted, and a large walk-in shower on the bath wall and the basin and toilet are on the window wall all built into a vanity unit and cupboards and a large tall ladder radiator on the remaining wall.had the lot tiled top to bottom.
all done by one firm.
absolutely brilliant.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2016, 07:52 PM

We're thinking of getting rid of our bath and just having a shower, now this will mean blocking up part of the bathroom window and having a new smaller window put in, we may get away with not having to retile the whole bathroom but the floor will have to be re done, I might get the shower cubicle and tray professionally installed but the rest I can do, a lot of work so what do you think?,has anyone else done this?
Hi primus.

Sorry, only just seen this thread.

I'm guessing you want the smaller window because the screen will be over the existing one.

The amount of work involved to change a bath to a shower depends on each individual job. You might find that there are no tiles under the bath and in some case no plaster. It's not a good idea to try and match new tiles/plaster inside a shower as it has to be water-tight.

The waste pipe will have to be changed and depending on the direction of your floor joists could involve some notching (you need to check regs for what is allowed). in some case the shower tray will have to be imbedded onto a wooden plinth.

Tip. Don't grout the gap between the tiles and the shower tray. Only use a good sealant such as Dow Corning sanitary.
Same in the corner.

I'm probably telling you what you already know but hopefully it might help a bit.

If you need any advice feel free to pm me.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2016, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Hi primus.

Sorry, only just seen this thread.

I'm guessing you want the smaller window because the screen will be over the existing one.

The amount of work involved to change a bath to a shower depends on each individual job. You might find that there are no tiles under the bath and in some case no plaster. It's not a good idea to try and match new tiles/plaster inside a shower as it has to be water-tight.

The waste pipe will have to be changed and depending on the direction of your floor joists could involve some notching (you need to check regs for what is allowed). in some case the shower tray will have to be imbedded onto a wooden plinth.

Tip. Don't grout the gap between the tiles and the shower tray. Only use a good sealant such as Dow Corning sanitary.
Same in the corner.

I'm probably telling you what you already know but hopefully it might help a bit.

If you need any advice feel free to pm me.
Thanks for that, I put our bathroom in 7 years ago so I will do some of the work myself apart from changing the window and maybe the shower tray, I will see the plumber when I get our boiler serviced, but I will keep you in mind if I need any advice
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 12:07 PM

I have been fitting bathrooms for about 10 years now and probably fitted about 60. I have just finished my own bathroom and done exactly what you want, changing the bath for a shower. Admittedly I did move the whole lot around to different positions but I have to admit it left me scratching my head for a solution most of the time. Normally, working on my own, it would take roughly two weeks to completely gut a bathroom, re-fit the suite, wall tiles and floor tiles but my own one took me a couple of months.

I think a lot of the time I was to busy watching telly.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 01:37 PM

We're thinking of getting rid of our bath and just having a shower, now this will mean blocking up part of the bathroom window and having a new smaller window put in, we may get away with not having to retile the whole bathroom but the floor will have to be re done, I might get the shower cubicle and tray professionally installed but the rest I can do, a lot of work so what do you think?,has anyone else done this?
My father had this done in the apartment he bought in the early part of this century as he needed a walk in shower; there wasn't enough room in the bathroom for both. My mother detested showers and was not a happy bunny!

When my siblings and I put the apartment on the market, some people were put off by the lack of a bath.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

09-06-2016, 02:01 PM

I agree that the majority of people would like a bath and it can put people off when selling. I reckon you have to make the place you live in suitable for you though. Once I'm gone, I won't be worrying about it.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 03:34 PM

I dislike baths and much prefer to have a shower. We have a shower over the bath in the main bathroom, and an ensuite attached to my bedroom with a walk in shower.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 07:39 AM

I had my downstairs bathroom converted into a shower-room last year and am very pleased with it. (Now as long as I can manage just one step up or down I can live downstairs if I want to.)

I am lucky I still have a bath upstairs. I don't use it so often.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top