Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 08:57 PM

Re: Ronseal or Creosote

What about Cuprinol - is it exactly the same as Ronseal?

I'm still mulling over which would be better both to preserve the wood but also let me see the grain.

BTW, I presume the fence manufacturers use Ronseal or Cuprinol and not something else? The fence panels were already coated with something by the independent fencing company I used, (not B & Q ones).
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 09:16 PM

I'm afraid I can't tell you the difference about Cuprinol/Ronseal Pesta.
Some preservatives are water based and some oil based, that's all I know.

Come on you men, can't you help Pesta decide?
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I'm afraid I can't tell you the difference about Cuprinol/Ronseal Pesta.
Some preservatives are water based and some oil based, that's all I know.

Come on you men, can't you help Pesta decide?

That's it Mups, you rally the men folk round for me, good gal
(Even if you are only buttering me up not to pinch Megan)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 10:45 PM

Not very forthcoming are they. . .
Come on you gardeners . .

susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 06:14 AM

I've just finished painting my fencing and shed , ronseal one coat is good . I must think about spraying it next year and not painting , it seems easier .

I notice prior to painting each year the fencing slats start to bow , as soon as I paint they suck it up and flatten out again .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 06:19 AM

Hi

Hopes this helps

http://www.creosotesales.co.uk/produ...te-substitute/

Personally I don't like coloured fences, when eventually they deteriorate, they look very messy.

Water based treatments can also have adhesion problems, the stuff can flake over time.

My fences were pressure treated, they have weathered down to a lovely sliver grey colour.

I like it and they are supposed to last 30 years,
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 06:30 AM

Swim , what do you mean pressure treated ? I thought all fences had to be painted to preserve ?
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 06:56 AM

most fenceing these days are tanalised,under pressure
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

31-05-2016, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by doctor ->
most fenceing these days are tanalised,under pressure

New fence panels probably are doctor, but I thought Pesta was wanting to treat existing panels.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 07:25 AM

Hi

There are various types of treated timber, the cheapest ones are just dipped in preservative, water based.

The stuff you buy from the DIY sheds.

The next one up, is pressure treated, the timber is placed in a large container, the air drawn out and the preservative , water based, is drawn into the wood by the vacuum.

The cheaper pressure treated stuff only has a partial vacuum, is not kept in for long and water based preservative is used, it is much cheaper to buy and to dispose of the waste.

The preservative only goes in a few mm.

The good stuff is treated under a high vacuum, for a much longer period of time, using more expensive spirit based preservative.

It then has to be air dried for weeks,.

More expensive initially, but will last 30 years, doesn't need retreating or painting and no rotten posts to replace.

Far cheaper and much less hassle in the long run.

There are various grades of treated timber, the one I use is known locally as marine grade.

We used it to build Fishing Pegs in the River Severn, half immersed in water in summer, regularly totally immersed in winter.

The pegs were put in 23 years ago, still as good as new, no rot at all.

Very good for fencing, sheds etc.

Reading this, I am coming to the conclusion that I must be the most boring person I know.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top