Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 08:43 AM

Re: Ronseal or Creosote

Most modern fence panels are treated by the manufacturers with a solution that helps prevent rot and insect attack for around ten years or so, and so painting them is a purely cosmetic choice. Creosote really needs to be avoided as there are now a myriad of outdoor paints specially formulated for fencing, non toxic and water based. I have recently repainted most of my fencing with Cuprinol Fencecare, which should give you the finish you are looking for and is on offer at our local Tesco at the moment for five quid a gallon.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->

Reading this, I am coming to the conclusion that I must be the most boring person I know.
Give over swimmy....you're the oracle

Thanks everyone for your input and Mups for nudging them

I'll have a look at the Cuprinol Fencecare you recommended Barry if it means I can still see the grain. Thanks.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2016, 09:58 AM

I'd use Creosote Pesta, cos it smells lovely and it kills ants - something we have a lot of trouble with round here. (Only joking)
I used 'Ducksback' by Cuprinol on my fence and although I gave it three coats, after just two years it needed doing again. So last year I did it with something called 'Garden Paint' from the garden centre and with only one coat it still looks good after the winter.
When I was a child I helped my Dad Creosote many fences and sheds and I'm sure they used to last longer than today's products do.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 10:14 PM

Why can't we all be pressure treated and last for years?

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 10:38 PM

Well the fencing chaps who put up a new fence said that only creocote was recommended. The fence stains all fade and look awful when they are degrading. You just have to take precautions and wear a mask & cover up when applying. Yes the smell lingers. Keep pets away while it dries. I'm not sure how harmful it is to animals once dry. I wouldn't use if it I had a puppy or kittens. But I guess a compromise if you are worried is to use it on the top half of fencing and another solution nearer the ground on the bottom half. I would say once a fence is dry the biggest danger to pets will be plants and weeds in your garden which they might ingest whether or not you paint your fence. I'd also avoid using it along the top rail of the back garden fence because cats and squirrels and birds may get too close there. Really depends on the geography of your garden and your pet behaviour. As many boards come pre treated it's hard to avoid it.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 08:40 AM

My fence came treated I’m not sure with what. It’s slowly turning a silver grey it’s ok .
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 11:28 AM

Most fencing is pressure treated but it’s advisable to paint with a preservative once a year to help preserve it..
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 04:45 PM

Please, please, please be very careful if you are using creosote. Read this from the health and safety executive.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 08:43 PM

I remember creosote pastilles when I first started at Boots!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Good for the sinuses isn't it OG
It should be Pesta, it smells like disinfectant?
Its a nice clean smell?
I have been unable to find any available i uk!
It contains caustic soda,so is quite dangerous to use !!
It may be available from farmers co-ops ???

Donkeyman! 😷😷😷

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top