Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2016, 10:04 AM

Re: Finished at last

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
It all looks very nice. I wish you many more happy years in your lovely home.
Well thank you for your good wishes . As this is the 5th house we have had we won't be wanting to move again, the upheaval is getting too much.

Thinking back over the years I still remember the struggle to get out first terraced 2 bed house way back in 1972 with what was known as gazumping was rife. if it wasn't for a cousin-in law who was a builder among other things we would not got our foot on the housing ladder.Having just got married after saving hard, and I do mean hard for nearly 2 years (5 jobs between us). Walking through that front door for the first time and shutting the world out is something I will never forget.

Just as an example of how tight our money was, we spent nearly an hour in a store in the winter sales looking to see if we could afford a copper bottom milk saucepan for 50p.
it took another month to start getting cutlery set together
Viners sable knifes were £1 each so you can imagine how long it took to get a set of 6 knifes forks spoons etc and we still have them.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2016, 10:08 AM

Glad to hear you have finished realspeed. I'm quite envious as I still have a lot to do before I get to that point.

What will you do with your time now? Maybe you could start decorating the first room you decorated.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2016, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Glad to hear you have finished realspeed. I'm quite envious as I still have a lot to do before I get to that point.

What will you do with your time now? Maybe you could start decorating the first room you decorated.
Tere is a great sense of satisfaction when finished , something that never seems to come but it does.

We can spend a little more time going out seeing places and myself more time on photography

We have a cruise booked and everything paid for end of next month doing Sweden then on to Finland-Estonia-Latvia- Lithuania- Germany- Russia and finally Denmark.
So that is the next big thing in our diary and our son is coming to look after the house over that time.

Next year already booked and paid for, 14 days to Barbados- Aruba -Cayman islands- Jamaica- ST Maarten-- St lucia - Dominica and back to Barbados. Not booked day trips out yet as they havn't announced them.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2016, 10:30 AM

Well done Baz, it looks a proper top job.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

22-06-2016, 10:45 AM

Thank you Barry.
You should have seen how those log stores were built! German builders had nothing on them. Every tile on the log stores was double screwed into the support struts and every main joint in the frame was cross fixed so no way could you even hammer them apart, thank goodness for my chain saw or I would still be trying to dismantle it. The one on the side of the house took a week to get down. The previous owner was a carpenter with is own building firm and I recon B&Q had to restock their screw supply each time he visited. Never ever seen so many screws in everything in my life.

Even in the workshop part of the garage he had managed to slice tree trunks longways and each half made up a work bench on both sides again to ages to dismantle.

Some of the timber from the side house log store

take a look at the joints in the foreground and you will see what I mean
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

22-06-2016, 11:01 AM

42 bags or rubble like above to clear before greenhouse base could be started

Trying to get an idea if a small greenhouse would fit into the space avoiding vine tree on left

sub base

slabs cut and roughly laid to fit before cementing into right position

managed it after about 3 months of work, most waiting for greenhouse delivery. working out how it all fitted together was fun ,NOT
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2016, 09:37 PM

First time I have taken a look, and you are to be congratulated in many ways. The only negative comment is, don't under any crcumstances let Mrs Dobra see this, otherwise I will be in it for being an idle Dobra !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2016, 09:16 AM

What a transformation, Realspeed, you and your wife must both have a great (and well deserved) sense of achievement!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2016, 05:53 PM

Looking very nice, everywhere! Well done.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2016, 05:58 PM

Behind paved over? Bit extreme innit?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top