Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2016, 08:18 PM

fitted wood studs at last

Across the front of the house there are wooden decorative beams , the one across the top of the downstairs window there are wooden studs except the end 2 were missing. This has been annoying me every time I go in the front door so this evening I decided to do something about it

on each end

Easy job thinks I, just cut down a spare broom handle yes? no way, the hole in the beam were bigger with bolts that held the beam to the wall.

I had kept, Sue says I throw nothing out in case it is needed later on,a stake left by the council they pinned the tree reduction application on. Now this was cut into a quarter of a branch so needed rounding off. As I don't own a lathe it was down to using a power drill with a sanding disc attached. after several checks got it to right size and drilled a hole in one end to fit over the bolt.
That is where I have got to as you can see in the photos apart from a bit of mastic to fill any small gaps.

Tomorrow just need painting and job done but Sue want to paint the whole beam .
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2016, 08:25 PM

Re: fitted wood studs at last

Shouldn't they be rounded off to look like the rest of the studs?

Could be me being picky mind.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2016, 08:32 PM

the others are not exactly round either, but I take you point and I did sand down the show end a bit to round them off a bit. When painted they hopefully will look the same.

It took quite a bit of planeing to get the studs anything like as it was a triangular stake to start with

its 2 years annoyance finally coming to an end. One of those jobs get done when you get around to it. A couple of days ago it was replacing the front door bell push as no visitors could seem to make the bell work.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2016, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
the others are not exactly round either, but I take you point and I did sand down the show end a bit to round them off a bit. When painted they hopefully will look the same.

It took quite a bit of planeing to get the studs anything like as it was a triangular stake to start with

its 2 years annoyance finally coming to an end. One of those jobs get done when you get around to it. A couple of days ago it was replacing the front door bell push as no visitors could seem to make the bell work.
Fine looking house you have there - quite envious .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

04-07-2016, 08:55 PM

Back with old conservatory

New conservatory top just done

it has taken us 2 years to finally get the place back as it should be (apart from being ill and in/out of hospital last year)and cost a small fortune to do it. Oh blind in conservatory now up

This is the result of 50+ years hard work

Mark
if your ever in the East Sussex area let me know and come and see us
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

04-07-2016, 09:07 PM

it has taken us 2 years to finally get the place back as it should be and cost a small fortune to do it. Oh blind in conservatory now up
Looks wonderful to me. Got it all - big house - double garage - sunlit conservatory. The rest of us can only wonder what it is like to live there.

I'm happy to be alive so my expectations are nicely very low . A roof over my head and no money worries makes me feel like a King- totally liberated as a result. Still, a cracking house to see the rest of my life out does play on my mind quite a lot. Glad you seem to have your choice of house well sorted.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

04-07-2016, 09:19 PM

Mark

Its not what you have to show it is what is inside you that counts.
It is strange but we have only lived here a short time but already one of our neighbours trusts us with their house keys. Others on the road have been here for yonks and hardly speak to each other. That is not me or Sue, we talk to anyone even if just passing the day. Having said that they are still great people and always ready to help.

I always consider a great leveller no matter how rich or less well off one is, we all use have to use the toilet and if stood naked side by side you could not tell one from the other.

I have mixed with oil sheiks and the poorest of the poor and to me the all are treated the same when I worked for BT and still do.

One of the people Sue and I knew very well was someone who worked with Sue. her name was( primpri boomaratapan) that is the nearest I can get to spelling it, we called her prim and her father was the Thailand Ambassador here in the UK. She married Sue's boss at the time. She even invited us to the grand opening In Wimbledon of the main Thai temple for the whole of Europe.

Believe me that was some experience being served by female Embassy staff in national costume. 16 courses later all I wanted to do is go to sleep

Have to add that when Sue and I got engaged we did not have a penny between us ,even church mice had more as Sue even owed money on her car we that poor.

What you see now no way shows the saving and hard graft that went into it, and now mortgage free as well
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

04-07-2016, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Mark

Its not what you have to show it is what is inside you that counts.
It is strange but we have only lived here a short time but already one of our neighbours trusts us with their house keys. Others on the road have been here for yonks and hardly speak to each other. That is not me or Sue, we talk to anyone even if just passing the day. Having said that they are still great people and always ready to help.

I always consider a great leveller no matter how rich or less well off one is, we all use have to use the toilet and if stood naked side by side you could not tell one from the other.

I have mixed with oil sheiks and the poorest of the poor and to me the all are treated the same when I worked for BT and still do.

One of the people Sue and I knew very well was someone who worked with Sue. her name was( primpri boomaratapan) that is the nearest I can get to spelling it, we called her prim and her father was the Thailand Ambassador here in the UK. She married Sue's boss at the time. She even invited us to the grand opening In Wimbledon of the main Thai temple for the whole of Europe.

Believe me that was some experience being served by female Embassy staff in national costume. 16 courses later all I wanted to do is go to sleep

Have to add that when Sue and I got engaged we did not have a penny between us ,even church mice had more as Sue even owed money on her car we that poor.

What you see now no way shows the saving and hard graft that went into it, and now mortgage free as well
A success story .

My own story has yet to reach a conclusion - at least I like to think so - mysterious annat .
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2016, 10:35 PM

I can never understand architects trying to replicate older houses by introducing the look into new builds.
It just adds to the upkeep.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

05-07-2016, 08:55 AM

Mark
Just been and rounded those studs a bit more now I have had some time

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top