Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2016, 08:41 AM

European companies

We ordered a couple of rolls of designer wallpaper online from a company based in Belgium. The price per roll here was Ģ60 per roll, the Belgian price was Ģ40 per roll with free delivery. The wallpaper arrived just two days after ordering.

Previously we ordered two rolls of another designer wallpaper from a British online shop which was Ģ60 per roll plus Ģ15 delivery. We had to wait three weeks for that.

How come European companies can be so efficient compared to our own?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2016, 07:37 PM

Re: European companies

Something to do with 'Rip Off Britain', I suppose.

Perhaps our products are taxed more or maybe the raw materials and employees?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2016, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Something to do with 'Rip Off Britain', I suppose.

Perhaps our products are taxed more or maybe the raw materials and employees?
Tbh, it seemed such a good deal that I thought it was probably too good to be true. Even their revues were all 5*s.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

09-08-2016, 07:42 PM

Ha ha! Just realised I made a typo in the title.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2016, 08:06 PM

The Brit companies probably buy from Europe and with some of the more expensive items won't carry stock so order when they have enough orders for a pallet
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

09-08-2016, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
The Brit companies probably buy from Europe and with some of the more expensive items won't carry stock so order when they have enough orders for a pallet
Yeah probably right. I was impressed with the Belgian company.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2016, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Ha ha! Just realised I made a typo in the title.
Look on the bright side: at least it wasn't rude!

Was it? Not being a rude word person, I really don't know.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2016, 08:58 PM

Itīs often the same with customer service too. A couple of years ago we bought a new Baxi boiler, of course all instructions were in Spanish. So I emailed Baxi customer service in UK and Baxi customer service in Spain, asking if they could supply me with an instruction book in English. Most things I can cope with, but some electrical jargon even in English I donīt understand. The next morning I received an email from Baxi Spain, asking me what the name of the boiler was (I didnīt know they had names !), I had supplied the model number. Off I went, found the name, typed it on the reply function and pressed send. Virtually before I had taken my fingers off the keys I was sent a download manual in English. From Baxi in England, well Iīm still waiting for a reply.

This has happened on various occasions when we have bought electrical goods here with no English instructions. I have received prompt replies from companies in Germany and Spain but very rarely, if ever, from English companies.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2016, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
This has happened on various occasions when we have bought electrical goods here with no English instructions. I have received prompt replies from companies in Germany and Spain but very rarely, if ever, from English companies.
Exactly the same when we lived in Czechland, user manuals usually had up to 20 European languages but not English but if it was made in Germany then an English language version was always sent on request. Like you I rarely, if ever, had a reply from a UK company even if it was made in UK.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2016, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Exactly the same when we lived in Czechland, user manuals usually had up to 20 European languages but not English but if it was made in Germany then an English language version was always sent on request. Like you I rarely, if ever, had a reply from a UK company even if it was made in UK.
Itīs still the same. Buy a product made in England, the manual comes with every language under the sun....except English. A polite request to the British company is made, but never a reply.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top