Join for free
Page 362 of 737 « First < 262 312 352 360 361 362 363 364 372 412 462 > Last »
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 08:31 AM

Re: Things that annoy you!

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That reminds me of whenever we visit our relatives in Scotland and come to pay for something in cash, we are inevitably given the change in Scottish banknotes.

The problem is that after we come home there are some places which don't like to accept them in payment. I'm not sure whether they are legal tender in England (and Wales and NI), but it's a little embarrassing when they are refused.

Consequently, we make an effort to pay by credit (or debit) card when possible.
Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

It annoys me that the English um & ah about taking them whereas the Scots are expected to take ours with no questions asked.
Scottish notes are legal tender in England, and can be used in shops, but a lot of shopkeepers either don't realise that, or don't know how to tell if they are counterfeit or not, so err on the side of caution.

I found this....

"The Association of Commercial Banknote Issuers states: 'The term 'legal tender' has very little practical meaning as far as ordinary, everyday transactions are concerned, and it has no bearing on the acceptability of authorised banknotes as a means of payment …'

Crucially, it adds: "The acceptability of any means of payment, including banknotes, is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved."

I suppose the same applies if you try to pay only in 1p coins, or something like that...... it's up to the shopkeeper whether to accept that form of payment or not.

I was once given a Scottish note in change in my local shop, and although I knew it was ok, I still refused to accept it, as I knew I'd have trouble spending it and would have to go to the bank to change it, which is what had happened once before, and I didn't want the hassle.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Scottish notes are legal tender in England, and can be used in shops, but a lot of shopkeepers either don't realise that, or don't know how to tell if they are counterfeit or not, so err on the side of caution.

I found this....

"The Association of Commercial Banknote Issuers states: 'The term 'legal tender' has very little practical meaning as far as ordinary, everyday transactions are concerned, and it has no bearing on the acceptability of authorised banknotes as a means of payment …'

Crucially, it adds: "The acceptability of any means of payment, including banknotes, is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved."

I suppose the same applies if you try to pay only in 1p coins, or something like that...... it's up to the shopkeeper whether to accept that form of payment or not.

I was once given a Scottish note in change in my local shop, and although I knew it was ok, I still refused to accept it, as I knew I'd have trouble spending it and would have to go to the bank to change it, which is what had happened once before, and I didn't want the hassle.
True, but never mind: the 'cashless society' is almost upon us!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 12:13 PM

Better a Scottish pound than a Euro, JBR/Pyxell?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Better a Scottish pound than a Euro, JBR/Pyxell?
Of course. My earlier comment was sarcastic, of course.

The Euro is deadly for all except a couple of countries, which it appears to benefit.

It has destroyed the economies of some countries, such as Greece and perhaps Italy.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 06:03 PM

I do wish that any political comments could be confined to the politics threads.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-05-2019, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
I do wish that any political comments could be confined to the politics threads.
The title of the thread is 'Things that annoy you'.

I should imagine that there is very little apart from politics that annoy people!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I should imagine that there is very little apart from politics that annoy people!
I have said before that not a lot annoys me. Litter, broken glass, dog poo the owners have not cleaned up.

And that green man pedestrian crossing not very far from us that isn't on long enough to cross.

And those bloody pit bulls who tried to intimidate us. And they lady with a little dog we were chatting to.
Lorna
Uk
Lorna is female  Lorna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 08:37 PM

Today 'I' have annoyed myself, i was supposed to be having a lovely easy day after hols away, plus its the last of my days off before 'back to the grind' !
But i got coaxed into a long shopping trip out, it cost me a small fortune,
And all because i felt too weak to say NO, sio annoyed with myself !
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lorna ->
Today 'I' have annoyed myself, i was supposed to be having a lovely easy day after hols away, plus its the last of my days off before 'back to the grind' !
But i got coaxed into a long shopping trip out, it cost me a small fortune,
And all because i felt too weak to say NO, sio annoyed with myself !
Shopping annoys me full stop.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 10:59 PM

When you are about to sneeze; you feel it welling up, so you get all prepared for it, in fact you start to come around to the fact that you might actually enjoy it then.......

Nothing

Page 362 of 737 « First < 262 312 352 360 361 362 363 364 372 412 462 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top