Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 12:01 PM

Horrible cat flap removed

The back porch door had this horrible huge white cat flap cur into the lower door panel. Not only did it look horrible but the panel supports were cut into as well

Ok what to do? buy a complete new door costing hundreds of pounds. send the door away to have the panel replaced, again cosing hundreds of pounds and finding a company that could do it. Or make it a DIY job, not great but far better than what was there and no draughts.

I chose the latter having the timber and strangely enough the quadrnt from another project-cost £0.

so had a go. below is how far I have got this morning, now waiting for the glue to dry before a small bit of trimming quadrant to match a couple of curved bits.

Next then is to add mastic to the joints and then paint up the whole door
Not perfect but far better than the raving nut case that had the place before.
He was a so called builder and carpenter, no wonder his company went bust ruining an expensive door like that.

Some people should not be allowed to even get out of their prams they have more brains at that age than older

this is what was there. (9inches x 9inches) way too big for the door
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 12:23 PM

Re: Horrible cat flap removed

Nice job Realspeed.

They probably had no choice. That's the trouble when you have cats. They are in and out of the house like yoyos.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 03:33 PM

Ah Realspeed, i'm glad you put this thread on, because we have got the same problem, we are moving Home in 2 weeks time and the previous owners have a Cat Flap in the wooden door, but our Cat is a House Cat, they have left it there and put Tape right across it, so that our Cat can't escape, and my Husband said instead of getting a Carpenter in he will try and do it himself.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 03:43 PM

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 06:25 AM

As you can see the quadrant is now flush along the top, no jutting out in the top recesses. All now with mastic in the joints although I did make the panel a very tight.

Now over to Sue who enjoys ( she won't admit it) preparing the areas for painting. I have the ability to put paint on inside out
Looks a mess at the moment but when painted up will make all the difference.

Pity the stupid bugger cut a bit out of the centre frames, I could have replaced the whole centre section and made it look as if it was supposed to be like that.

If only I could get my hands on the "Bar****d" he would have had a damn good shaking. He even used cement on the inside top to fill in the gap between door and cat flap

The only other alternative was to cut to the top the centre supports the same amount and then inserted one long plain panel, but time and effort was not really worth it.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

As you can see the quadrant is now flush along the top, no jutting out in the top recesses. All now with mastic in the joints although I did make the panel a very tight.

Now over to Sue who enjoys ( she won't admit it) preparing the areas for painting. I have the ability to put paint on inside out
Looks a mess at the moment but when painted up will make all the difference.

Pity the stupid bugger cut a bit out of the centre frames, I could have replaced the whole centre section and made it look as if it was supposed to be like that.

If only I could get my hands on the "Bar****d" he would have had a damn good shaking. He even used cement on the inside top to fill in the gap between door and cat flap

The only other alternative was to cut to the top the centre supports the same amount and then inserted one long plain panel, but time and effort was not really worth it.
Not everyone is Mr Perfect RS, insulting the previous owner like you are doing is a bit over the top.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

29-04-2019, 09:37 AM

Mags
have you ever seen a wood brace used to keep roof timbers apart? No

Well now you have. Didn't even use a bit of timber,yet he was a builder and carpenter. No wonder his company went bust.

What about lighting? god what a cockup

normally a light is wired directly from the switch? yes.
not here

it when from the light switch to a pendant light-to an external floodlight- to a florescent tube ,all used as junction boxes only- eventually to a sodium light which worked.

The work bench was a tree trunk cut from top to bottom and split open so the flat part could be the bench, don't even ask what held it up. Took me 2 days with a chain saw to remove it all

That is just a few things in the garage ,I could point ot at least 10 more cockups in there alone. Don't even mention power points

Old guttering (brown) joined up to new guttering (black) in the rear porch. Leaking on the corners, let alone 4 yes 4 tv aerials on the roof

Please don't even start on the house I would be listing everything until tomorrow.

From front door latch misfit to leaking radiators to window latches broken, even down to bathroom mirror nibbled away to fit a space, let alone shaver point lights not working etc etc. It has cost us tens of thousands to put it all right.

Yes I think I have every right to call him names, he was a walking disaster with everything he touched.

It has taken me years to put it all right even down to a broken loo seat
He was left the house by an old dear who lived here and he didn't have a clue on how to look after it.

At least now it is respectable, and value in just over 4 years gone up by about £150,000(zoopla estimate) at the very least less our cost to put right.

AS i said earlier he was a so called builder with his own firm so he could have done everything at trade price and staff who should have known what they were doing
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 10:52 AM

Mr RS
Why did you buy the property if it was in such a state?
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 10:54 AM

Oh dear.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

29-04-2019, 11:06 AM

Area and cost is why and knew I could improve and add a huge amount of value, Half a million pound would not buy it now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top