Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 12:02 AM

Are we too PC?

Yet more PC twaddle!
Below an exert from an article in 'Mature Times' :

" I’ve recently been thinking about all the pressure that companies and organisations seem to be under to play the PC game, and I got to wondering if thisis sometimes really worth it?
Let me give you an example and this is in regard to something as inoffensive and innocuous as a box of tissues!

The company Kimberley-Clark who produces Kleenex tissues last year announced that, following complaints, their “Man-size” tissues would be subject to a re-branding exercise and would henceforth be known as “extra-large” instead.
The complaints that they had received suggested that the use of “Man-size” supported gender inequality. I’m sorry, but you have a product that has been sold for years and years and suddenly the humble tissue becomes a target for sexual discrimination – I really don’t get what all the fuss is about.

But there are other examples, too.
How about the British Medical Association who advised its members that pregnant women, or mothers-to-be should be simply referred to as “pregnant people” to avoid offence and to celebrate diversity?

Then there’s the example of “drag queens” being banned from a Gay Pride event in Glasgow in case they cause offence to transgender people! "

Seems to me there are more nutters about than ever.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 05:51 AM

Re: Are we too PC?

Excellent post, Mups, and I totally agree about the stupid PC thing. Like Health and Safety - both may have begun as good things - but have grown completely out of hand.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 06:02 AM

Hi

There was a item on BBC this morning.

Some are complaining that the voices on Sat Navs, Alexa , Google Home etc are female and that they should be Gender Neutral.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 06:07 AM

How on earth can a voice be gender neutral?
Would they like all the satnav, alexa etc., to sound like the Stephen Hawkins voice machine? Would they still buy them if they did?

We live in a crazy world.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 07:43 AM

I would have thought "Man size" tissues were offensive to men! Their noses aren't much bigger than anyone elses!

I think people are getting offended on behalf of others, not the actual people they think they're protecting who probably couldn't care less. It's just a phase and will calm down eventually when they realize there's more important stuff to worry about

As for Drag Queens, a lot of their fans are LGBT and will probably make their feelings known about the situation. Again folk getting het up on other's behalf.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 08:12 AM

Let's celebrate and enjoy the gender difference.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 08:17 AM

I think we can see our world as PC-gone-mad as we want to. PC-gone-mad sells. Many revel in these stories but it's not the real world, well, not quite.

The adman's pitch says ... time for a change after 60 years, update required, anything suggesting sexism is a no no, blah blah ... and Kleenex buy it. Adman (it was a woman actually, called Michelle Gilson) goes home with a mega smile, and mega bucks in the bank.

Things get updated. I think Kleenex deserve something more creative than "Extra Large". And I wouldn't be surprised if the "Mansized" label makes a comeback as some kind of ironic retroism.

The idea of someone complaining to Kleenex and them bowing to pressure from "the PC Brigade" makes a dull story, but it's how people want to read it.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 08:32 AM

I find all this pc business ridiculous and it really gets on my pips. Nothing surprises me anymore. PC, Pathetic claptrap. Gender neutral sat nav? Ok.

Someone must be spending all day thinking what ridiculous pc crap they can come up with next.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 09:02 AM

Hi

I like female voices on my gadgets.

A rare chance for a man to say get lost to a female voice without getting into trouble.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I like female voices on my gadgets.

A rare chance for a man to say get lost to a female voice without getting into trouble.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top