Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 06:25 PM

Should This Outdated Ritual Stop?

Well, here we are in the 21st century and it made me think when I saw pictures of everyone, including Theresa May, curtsying to the Queen in today's paper. Also to Prince Charles, William and Harry.

And it made me think how ridiculous it is. How do you feel about this antiquated, forelock tugging ritual in this day and age? Surely it should be consigned to the dustbin? a bow of the head in respect would surely be more in order in these modern times? What do you think?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 06:30 PM

Re: Should This Outdated Ritual Stop?

It's cringeworthy .
I have met the Queen .
It's not necessary to curtsey.
However ghastly crawlers like Fergie probaby have to make a servile gesture probaby wants to touch up her Maj for cash
The PM should not curtsey at all IMO
It's degrading .
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 06:48 PM

It does seem strange grown women having to curtsy in a show of respect .
Ok so you curtsy to the queen that’s where it should end . Harry ,William Charles ,Megan, Kate a nod of the head would suffice .
Imo they all need to find a job and forget all this curtsying protocol.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 06:54 PM

Hi

Mrs May would not be averse to being curtsied to herself.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 06:55 PM

Princess Anne visited my place of work about 15 years ago. We were told to bow if she approached us. She was introduced to me and I gave the slightest nod of my head at her. This was partly because I was rather nervous but also because I do not believe in anybody at all being better than anyone else.
I respect people who have fought in wars or performed life-saving operations, not wealthy beings who have inherited wealth and a title.
I did the same with Thatcher when I was on parade at RAF Northolt years ago too. I was almost reprimanded for not saluting correctly. Why on earth should I respect that horrible witch who sent 600 service personnel to their deaths in the Falklands?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 06:58 PM

Speaking as an American, I think the entire concept of "royalty" is outdated and should be consigned to the dustbin of history.

I hear such words as "Your Highness", "His Highness". "Her Highness", "Your Majesty" etc., etc., ad nauseum . It makes me wonder, 'Why are they so "High and Mighty"? How can an accident of birth confer "nobility" ?

If left up to me, I'd say to the entire "royal" family, "Ok, look, on January 1st, 2030, you are to move out of your castles, leaving all of the furniture, paintings and servants behind, buy your selves a few average homes, get a full-time job, and earn a paycheck, the same as the rest of us "commoners".

Then, quietly, let the whole business of "royalty" slide into oblivion.

I'd then turn all of those castles into museums.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 06:58 PM

ooer! Muddy, do tell us more! was it a sword on both shoulders job?

On a more serious note, I do tend to agree with you. I respect the Queen very highly and feel she has served her country well (apart from handing it on a plate to the EU), Same goes for Prince Phillip and Princess Anne.
I'm not sure about Prince Charles. I know he had a lonely childhood but think he has more than been repaid with all the pampering he and Camilla receive from the time they are gently woken in the morning until they pop themselves into bed. William and Harry I like cos they are Diane's children and have grown into nice young men.

However, I have no time for the rest of them. My respect goes to Zara Phillips who refused the title of Princess so she could live in the real world with the rest of us.

But...... I truly think curtsying should be abolished. It has no place in today's world.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Speaking as an American, I think the entire concept of "royalty" is outdated and should be consigned to the dustbin of history.

I hear such words as "Your Highness", "His Highness". "Her Highness", "Your Majesty" etc., etc., ad nauseum . It makes me wonder, 'Why are they so "High and Mighty"? How can an accident of birth confer "nobility" ?

If left up to me, I'd say to the entire "royal" family, "Ok, look, on January 1st, 2030, you are to move out of your castles, leaving all of the furniture and paintings behind, buy your selves a few average homes, get a full-time job, and earn a paycheck, the same as the rest of us "commoners".

Then, quietly, let the whole business of "royalty" slide into oblivion.
Absolutely brilliant, Bakerman! You do not have to be an American to think that though - many of us in the UK have had enough of all this royal bollox too
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 07:02 PM

TM looked pathetic (well, more than normal). If she'd had got any lower she would have fallen over.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

10-08-2018, 07:02 PM

I love these royal threads. Gives me a chance to spit some bile in their direction and irritate some of the biddies on here who wear Union Jack dresses at walkabouts where the real people are all packed together on one side of the railings like sardines, and the royals have a big open road to walk along. Them and us.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top