Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2018, 09:09 AM

Re: Sheer Madness!

It doesn’t bother me and if its a help in stopping obnoxious behaviour that’s all for the good.
I doubt it will have much effect on tourism.
If you love Spain you won’t let the cost of a few G&Ts put you off.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2018, 09:52 AM

Venetians have always hated the day trippers. Having an iced coffee on St Marks has always been a rip off.

But the beef of locals appears to be with air bnb type rentals. It's pricing locals out of the rental market. I can understand their feelings on that score. Over here it seems to have taken over with a life of its own. It's very popular of course because it's so much cheaper than a hotel.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2018, 11:16 AM

Well we have been to Benidorm and Gran Canaria and Rhodes (Greece) up to now this year.
We paid 33 euros tourist tax in Gran Canaria 4 weeks ago, and if this is to be doubled, then bye bye there.
Rhodes was 50 euros.
That is a big chunk to pay before I have even had a beer!

The tax depends on the official rating of the hotel of course.
The higher the grade, the more you pay, which can be as much as 5 euros per person per night for 5 star.
Sod that for a game of soldiers!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2018, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->
Well we have been to Benidorm and Gran Canaria and Rhodes (Greece) up to now this year.
We paid 33 euros tourist tax in Gran Canaria 4 weeks ago, and if this is to be doubled, then bye bye there.
Rhodes was 50 euros.
That is a big chunk to pay before I have even had a beer!

The tax depends on the official rating of the hotel of course.
The higher the grade, the more you pay, which can be as much as 5 euros per person per night for 5 star.
Sod that for a game of soldiers!

In which case, as I am doing next month, and go further East to Cyprus.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2018, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ripple ->
It doesn’t bother me and if its a help in stopping obnoxious behaviour that’s all for the good.
I have always loved Spain Ripple, but once I get the feeling I am being ripped off and hospitality and custom being abused and taken for granted, then I am off.

Putting up the price of me beer is just the straw that breaks the camels back!
orangutan2
Ireland
orangutan2 is female 

27-08-2018, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ripple ->
I agree with you. And given that, unless you are an independent traveller, it will just be included in the overall cost I suspect a lot of people won't even notice...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 09:01 AM

From 1st September with the demise of their GST (VAT) Malaysian hotels now collect a daily 5Ringgitt tax from foreigners (AUS$1.50ish)
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->
I have always loved Spain Ripple, but once I get the feeling I am being ripped off and hospitality and custom being abused and taken for granted, then I am off.

Putting up the price of me beer is just the straw that breaks the camels back!
I agree, I don't drink beer but the feeling you are being ripped off generally will put me off visiting.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top