Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 05:53 AM

computer reset

my computer was having hiccups so tried system restore in windows 10, useless it crashed my computer.

Spent some considerable time in reinstating W10 and then putting back the printer -photo edting suites- and several other items

Strongly advise not to use system restore with windows 10. i was able to reset the computer, you may not be able to without the knowledge
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 08:33 AM

Re: computer reset

Yes I did the same Realspeed a long time ago and it also crushed my computer, never again.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 11:02 AM

I have used Windows 10 System Restore to regress to the latest checkpoint a couple of times with no problems.

I have nearly completed manually restoring an old Windows 10 PC after a Reset. The Reset completed with no problems and so far, I have encountered no significant issues reinstalling required apps.

No data was lost due to the Reset but checking and changing system and app settings is very time-consuming, which I expected.

The one problem that I have yet to resolve is networking. The Reset PC took itself off my local network. Extensive searching on the internet revealed that Windows 10 network problems are common mainly, it seems, because of the use of "services". I have managed to get 2 PCs to see each other but printers and external drives are, as yet, invisible.

Whether the work involved is worth the effort will only become clear once I have re-established the network but if I have to spend the weekend seeking a solution then I will not be happy .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
my computer was having hiccups so tried system restore in windows 10, useless it crashed my computer.

Spent some considerable time in reinstating W10 and then putting back the printer -photo edting suites- and several other items

Strongly advise not to use system restore with windows 10. i was able to reset the computer, you may not be able to without the knowledge
While you have that freshly installed operating system with all favourite programs installed. I'd suggest making a disk image of the entire C: drive including the system, partitions and everything. That way, you may not need to reset the OS or use System Restore ever again.

Windows 10 includes a way of making a disk image (Control Panel > Backup and Restore (Windows 7)) or there are a number of third-party programs that will do the job. 'Macrium Reflect' or 'EaseUS ToDo' for instance.

Make sure a Windows start-up disk or rescue USB stick is made for any chosen method. If there is any trouble with Windows, boot up with rescue media and use the disk image made when the system was working OK to overwrite the faulty OS.

No need to reinstall favourite programs or set anything up afterwards because all that will be included in the disk image.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top