Join for free
Page 3 of 36 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2014, 02:28 PM

Re: Energy: SMART Meters

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Steve I am with OVO , was it they who contacted you about the meters or the people who own the meters and cables in my case Western Power.
I would like new 'dumb' meter if offered one but it won't have a smart meter.
No it was their sub-contractor Lowri-Beck and OVO said that they thought it best to leave it to them!

Not impressed by that but at the moment it suits me to be with OVO.

If I changed provider after the SMART meter was installed it wouldn't be any use to another provider so that was part of my argument plus the fact that Lowri-Beck replied to my query regarding power for the Smart Meter on the Gas by calmly telling me I had to cough up for this to be sorted!

As I didn't want or need this silly bit of kit I objected.

OVO didn't like it but tough on them, it's my money!

I didn't answer my questions regarding who finally pays for this 'free' SMART Meter either and it's estimated it'll all cost about £2Billion so we can guess who will eventually pay for this but I just do not want it. stevmk2
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2014, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I will get her to check it out, we pay £43.00 per month over ten months, I have a full bath every day, we car wash etc etc, there is only the Mother and father in law in a bungalow, and they are very frugal, last week I saw the letter informing them that their direct debit is to be raised to £37.00 per month (over 12 months) so something is wrong

Did a bit of digging on the Money Saving Expert site where there was a thread from 2008, apparently a Water Meter measures usage in cubic metres, back then the cheapest unit cost was £1.16p, London £1.60, and South West as high as £4.00p, the mean differential Being £1.87p, plus some small standing charges, so inflation aside a unit was ball park £2.00
An average bath holds 200 litres, so a bath would cost £0.40p, just having my daily bath would cost £12.00 per month
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2014, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
No it was their sub-contractor Lowri-Beck and OVO said that they thought it best to leave it to them!

Not impressed by that but at the moment it suits me to be with OVO.

If I changed provider after the SMART meter was installed it wouldn't be any use to another provider so that was part of my argument plus the fact that Lowri-Beck replied to my query regarding power for the Smart Meter on the Gas by calmly telling me I had to cough up for this to be sorted!

As I didn't want or need this silly bit of kit I objected.

OVO didn't like it but tough on them, it's my money!

I didn't answer my questions regarding who finally pays for this 'free' SMART Meter either and it's estimated it'll all cost about £2Billion so we can guess who will eventually pay for this but I just do not want it. stevmk2
Thanks Steve it suits me to be with OVO for now
and I have heard nothing from them about having a smart meter as yet.
It is my house and I will decide what I do and don't have in it regardless of who does or doesn't like it.

The more I read about Smart Meters the less I like the sound of them from a number of angles including health implications,'dirty electricity' and privacy .
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2014, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Did a bit of digging on the Money Saving Expert site where there was a thread from 2008, apparently a Water Meter measures usage in cubic metres, back then the cheapest unit cost was £1.16p, London £1.60, and South West as high as £4.00p, the mean differential Being £1.87p, plus some small standing charges, so inflation aside a unit was ball park £2.00
An average bath holds 200 litres, so a bath would cost £0.40p, just having my daily bath would cost £12.00 per month
Yorkshire Water work on the basis that a bath consumes 80 lit of water , but that is in Yorkshire and we know the Yorkies are a careful breed . I calculate to them only having 100mm of water in their baths . That's the way to save water, even if you have to splash a lot in order to wet all your bits.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2014, 06:04 PM

I am guilty on two fronts, firstly I fill the bath to the over flow with hot water (uses lots of Gas), then, if I am in a hurry, I pull the plug out and add cold water to cool it down, how wasteful is that, now you can see why I don't want a meter.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 09:24 PM

Like Meg, I can find ways of keeping my electricity usage down. The water heating up overnight ...(Bruce, Economy 7 is a term used by the power companies in that at any time during a 7 hour period of the night they will start up our power to heat the water - it's never at the same time. Don't ask me how it work.)

I never use my big oven to cook meals, preferring to use my mini one. I switch off the tv and other boxes when I go to bed. I try not to leave lights on un-necessarily. But I do hate the new fangled power saving light bulbs and still have many of the banned old fashioned ones. I shower a lot, rather than bathe.

My water bill is £7 pm. I had a new meter installed a year or so back, because it had stopped working. And my electricity meter was exchanged for a brand new one just a few weeks ago. (They are 20 years old, though some residents have already changed to new, some had gone over to key meters. Blow that for a game of soldiers...running out of power and then dashing out to get the key recharged!)

When you live alone you can find ways of keeping bills down. My bugbear is the BT phone line. Putting their prices up this December to pay for the Sports. Arrrghhh! There is absolutely no way to bring this cost down. I'm damned if I go to a new supplier as I cannot take out a new contract, not knowing where I'll be living in a year's time.
jodie
UK
jodie is female  jodie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 05:07 PM

Energy and water companies are rolling out Smart Meters in the UK to replace analogue meters. The exact dates keep changing, but be aware that you will be given the choice to have one soon. Please note that these are OPTIONAL. British Gas and others have been informing customers that SMs are mandatory when they are not.
http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/a-remi...-smart-meters/

Approx 3% of the population is thought to be sensitive to the EMFs from 24/7 WiFi involved with Smart Meters, so it is essential that those who have those health issues are not left without utilities, which is one of the reasons the Government ruled we are to have a choice in having these fitted or not. Once fitted, it seems at the moment you will not have the right to have a SM removed, so it is a decision to be taken with care. See above link for more info.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 05:24 PM

Some of us can't have them you have to have you meter in your property or within a certain distance anyway. Flats with meters out side or down stairs can't have them we have been told, they still keep sending the offer through so haven't got the message themselves.
jodie
UK
jodie is female  jodie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Some of us can't have them you have to have you meter in your property or within a certain distance anyway. Flats with meters out side or down stairs can't have them we have been told, they still keep sending the offer through so haven't got the message themselves.
Oh that is interesting, I didn't know that. So they can't have the whole country 'wired up' anyway, which seems to be what the battle is about.

Germany has given up on them altogether, France has put it off for the time being. There are class-action lawsuits going on the US to have them removed - all sorts of fuss out there..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I received confirmation that we will not now get a SMART meter so I will continue to do my own readings and keep an eye on our consumption as I've always done.

My provider OVO now bills us for the amounts of gas and electricity we have used monthly using MY meter readings and not their estimates so I'm happy with the outcome.

If you don't like the sound of having a SMART meter tell them you don't want one.
stevmk2

Steve, I have refused a smart meter 5 times now!
They say its to save us money, but its got to be for their own benefit really, as its against the rules for the energy companies to do things to help us. It will be for their OWN benefit somewhere along the line, else they wouldn't be doing it.

Page 3 of 36 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top