Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2016, 11:01 AM

Re: Left to Medical Science?

For those interested in knowing about the BODY DONATION PROGRAMME here is a link

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/lsm/study/depar...ion/index.aspx
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2016, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
For those interested in knowing about the BODY DONATION PROGRAMME here is a link

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/lsm/study/depar...ion/index.aspx
I found that interesting: one of the reasons for unsuitability of acceptance of donated bodies - dementia.
All of the other reasons are quite logical in that the body is likely to be physically unsuitable, lacking organs or potentially infectious.
I can understand that a demented patient's brain may possibly (but not necessarily) have small foci of abnormal anatomy, but I would have thought that the rest of the body is not going to be unusual in any way.
Perhaps it's something to do with the deceased being unable to make an acceptable decision with regard to the disposal of his/her body.
Davenorave
Wales
Davenorave is male  Davenorave has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2016, 01:59 PM

I have my donation form tucked in with my papers. I have signed my sad old bag of bones over to science. I haven't done a lot of good in life so hope my death might be of more use. But its not so simple. There are many rules and conditions for accepting bodies, I could quote from the bumf sent when offering your body, but you just need to take my word because I can't be bothered.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2016, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Davenorave ->
I have my donation form tucked in with my papers. I have signed my sad old bag of bones over to science. I haven't done a lot of good in life so hope my death might be of more use. But its not so simple. There are many rules and conditions for accepting bodies, I could quote from the bumf sent when offering your body, but you just need to take my word because I can't be bothered.
I was also surprised at the many conditions there are but still went ahead and carry my body donation card with me.

You do have the options of how long your remains can be kept for return or respectful disposal at source, so once accepted, your wishes will be carried out.
Davenorave
Wales
Davenorave is male  Davenorave has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2016, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
I was also surprised at the many conditions there are but still went ahead and carry my body donation card with me.

You do have the options of how long your remains can be kept for return or respectful disposal at source, so once accepted, your wishes will be carried out.
I have put no proviso as to time, I'm with them until I can be of no further use. Then I am put in some remembrance garden or some such. Point is though. My donation is for altruistic reasons. I truly hope I am of use to med students of the future.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2016, 02:34 PM

For those who said they can do what they like with me but not my loved ones, I would like to ask this question.
"Would you discuss your decision with your loved ones before you died?"

I ask this because I had great comfort from seeing my deceased loved ones lying in their coffin looking relaxed and peaceful, and it helped me deal with my grief. Should you not afford your loved ones the chance to say how they feel?
I could deal with a loved one leaving their body to science, if I thought it was their wish and they were maybe helping somebody else to live, but I would be distraught if their body was used for cosmetic training.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2016, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
"Would you discuss your decision with your loved ones before you died?"
I know that my wife will be devastated when I die (and I her) so, of course, I have discussed this with her.

I haven't yet made any moves toward donating my body (such as it is), though, and I'm not entirely convinced that it would be used solely for medical education or research and nothing else.

Also, I'm not convinced that my body would be acceptable anyway, as I'm sure I must be doolally!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2016, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I know that my wife will be devastated when I die (and I her) so, of course, I have discussed this with her.

I haven't yet made any moves toward donating my body (such as it is), though, and I'm not entirely convinced that it would be used solely for medical education or research and nothing else.

Also, I'm not convinced that my body would be acceptable anyway, as I'm sure I must be doolally!
I only asked because, when my dad died at 56 I refused to let them do a post mortem. I know it is silly and he was then just a piece of meat, but I didn't want anybody to cut my dad up, I wanted him to stay the same as I had known him. To me, he was still my dad, whether he was dead or alive, and I wanted to remember him that way.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top