Join for free
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2018, 12:08 PM

Unauthorised changes blocked

For the last two or three days I have been receiving the following message upon startup:

Virus & Threat Protection

Unauthorised changes blocked
Controlled folder access blocked C:\Program...
\SynTPEnh.exe from making changes to the
folder %userprofile%\Desktop.

From what I have read on the internet, this relates to Symantec touch pad software. I have made no changes to the computer with regard to this software.

I have run Malwarebytes, CCleaner and Microsoft Safety Scanner, all of which report no viruses, spyware or other malware.
Consequently, I have taken no other steps so far.

Has anyone else received a report like this?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2018, 02:15 PM

Re: Unauthorised changes blocked

Not 'Symantec' but 'Synaptics' and you're right, it is part of the touchpad software. Read the page linked to below or do some further research but I think you need to allow that to run in Windows Defender's controlled folders.

https://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/p...tpenh.exe.html
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2018, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Not 'Symantec' but 'Synaptics' and you're right, it is part of the touchpad software. Read the page linked to below or do some further research but I think you need to allow that to run in Windows Defender's controlled folders.

https://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/p...tpenh.exe.html
Yes, thanks. It was Synaptics. I misremembered it!

I think I found that page earlier, but didn't feel like reading through it all.

I assume, then, that it is best left alone, though I'd like to put an end to the notifications that keep popping up.

I think I found some settings earlier that would disable some notifications.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2018, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, thanks. It was Synaptics. I misremembered it!

I think I found that page earlier, but didn't feel like reading through it all.

I assume, then, that it is best left alone, though I'd like to put an end to the notifications that keep popping up.

I think I found some settings earlier that would disable some notifications.
It might be best to do a bit of reading about 'Controlled Folder Access' to see what's happening and find out how to add a trusted process. Unfortunately, I'm not using Windows Defender myself. My AV program has its own protected folders function and this disables Windows Defender's protections. I therefore can't walk you through the settings.

As said though, I think it seems like that the 'SynTPEnh.exe' process needs adding to the 'Controlled Folder Access'. Fortunately, there are instructions available and one of the best sources of information can be found in the site/page linked to below:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option1
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

03-10-2018, 04:49 PM

It might be best to do a bit of reading about 'Controlled Folder Access' to see what's happening and find out how to add a trusted process. Unfortunately, I'm not using Windows Defender myself. My AV program has its own protected folders function and this disables Windows Defender's protections. I therefore can't walk you through the settings.

As said though, I think it seems like that the 'SynTPEnh.exe' process needs adding to the 'Controlled Folder Access'. Fortunately, there are instructions available and one of the best sources of information can be found in the site/page linked to below:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option1
Thank you. I'll have a look through that.

But why is it suddenly coming up after all these years?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

03-10-2018, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thank you. I'll have a look through that.

But why is it suddenly coming up after all these years?
Has anything updated recently?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

03-10-2018, 05:10 PM

Further to my last, I seem to have added the SynTPEnh.exe file to the allowed apps.
I'll look out to see whether it is blocked next time I start up.

Thanks.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

03-10-2018, 05:11 PM

Has anything updated recently?
Not that I'm aware of. The only thing I added recently was an mp4 to mp3 converter.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

03-10-2018, 05:24 PM

Did the message start straightaway afterwards? What converter was it? Need to be sure that nothing came in with that. Be cautious about adding the process to the folders until you are sure about it.

I'd be happier if the message had come up as a result of a Windows or laptop manufacturers update.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top