Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 11:15 AM

Sheer Madness!

Hi everyone. I have just put this post on the Travel thread but hope you won’t mind me mentioning it here as well.

If anyone is going on a package holiday or a cruise to Majorca or Ibiza this or next year, there are a couple of really disappointing developments which you may not be aware of.

The first is that Spain hes DOUBLED their tourist tax! Tourists revolted in hotels and refused to pay because they were unaware of this huge increase. Travel agents kept this very quiet1

The second is that Majorca and Ibiza are about to enforce the banning of all free drinks in All-Inclusive package holidays! Those lovely teas, coffees, spirits, beers and soft drinks that you enjoyed on the terraces and outside bars at your hotels will be no more! Your drinks will still be free when accompanied by your meal inside the restaurant, but that is it! You will be paying for all other drinks.

Dear, oh dear. Seeing as travel agents here have changed all package holidays into All-Inclusive, I can see some redundancies in the pipeline, here and especially Spain who depend so much on tourism.

What do you think?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 11:41 AM

Re: Sheer Madness!

I don't think it will stop people going to Spain. But it's only a taster of what Brexit will bring.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 11:45 AM

Is there an equivalent of Godwin's Law for when a set of posts on a thread eventually blames 'Brexit' for all of the UK's ills?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I don't think it will stop people going to Spain. But it's only a taster of what Brexit will bring.
Whats Brexit got to do with it?

From what Im reading the islands have got sick of people going to their islands and spending the day drinking then doing daft things like falling off balconies

Im also reading that drinks will be available in the dining rooms FOC but after that, alcoholic drinks need to be paid for and served in glasses, not plastic. Tea and coffee is not being affected

Ive never been all inclusive so I don't know how these things work but Ive been half board where drinks with dinner were included and theres never been a problem with taking your coffee or drink outside to finish. Indeed most smokers did
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 11:55 AM

They will simply use Brexit as an excuse to increase prices for British tourists.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 01:12 PM

Annie, Annie, Annie! Brexit was never mentioned as being the cause of this. Apparently, they are doubling the tax to pay for sewage works etc. Even Cruise ship passengers who have always been exempt from the tax will now have to pay, and they are not even staying there!
I was reading that the Cruise companies are planning to boycott the Balearic Islands because of this.

I'm pleased for tourists if as you say, teas and coffees are not to be included in the ban, but I still think it is unfair because paying for all-inclusive costs a lot more than going half-board, but because the travel industry here have changed all package holidays into all-inclusive, surely they will now have to bring the prices down to compensate for what tourists will no longer get... unlimited free alcoholic drinks!!
Some of these hotels are situated at the end of the resorts where there is nowhere else to visit outside, they will be the first to be hurt because honestly, why would anyone want to stay with them to be captive to the prices they will now no doubt be charging at their bars when tourists may as well stay closer to the main resorts if they have lost the one perk that made all-inclusive so attractive?

The one and only time HWMO and I stayed all-inclusive, we only had to pay 20p more to be served Gordons Gin instead of the local gin. It was the same for all spirits, it was free local, 20p more for branded spirits.

Wouldn't you think that an EU country in dire financial straits and unbelievably high unemployment would be doing their best to ensure tourists return year after year? but no, they seem to be doing their best to keep tourists out of their islands. Blinkered thinking indeed.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Sorry, AnnieS just a ripoff conveniently timed, to make it seem that way.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

24-08-2018, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Annie, Annie, Annie! Brexit was never mentioned as being the cause of this..
OK I will refrain from mention the "B" word forthwith in this thread!

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Wouldn't you think that an EU country in dire financial straits and unbelievably high unemployment would be doing their best to ensure tourists return year after year? but no, they seem to be doing their best to keep tourists out of their islands. Blinkered thinking indeed.
It may be a savvy move by Spain to clean up its act on binge drinking and cheap holidays and move towards more exclusive resorts that attract a more international mix of tourists who are prepared to spend far more on local businesses.

I've never been to Benidorm in mainland Spain, but we have been to tenerife a few times and some parts of Costa Adeje have become like Blackpool by the med. You go up the coast a little and it's totally different and saturated with designer shops, filled with mainland European tourists. A few years ago we went to Cadiz and visited Seville and a couple of other towns. It was very much authentically Spanish. Also going to La Gomera island is a totally different experience from Tenerife. So perhaps they are planning to rebrand the whole Spanish holiday experience?

Hasn't Portugal managed to pull this off with its exclusive resorts and golf courses? Perhaps they are following the example there.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by judd ->
is there an equivalent of godwin's law for when a set of posts on a thread eventually blames 'brexit' for all of the uk's ills?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 02:56 PM

Who cares, I certainly don't.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top