Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 12:38 PM

Re: UK Referendum on Scottish Independence

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...ependent-2025/

Really?
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Well bring it on then, and let's see!

It is strange that the SNP is the largest Scottish party in Westminster, and they stand for Scottish independence.

Yet when the Scots were offered a referendum on independence, they voted to remain part of the UK.

Can't the Scots make their minds up?
I think you’ll find that the first past the post system is responsible for that but I’m sure you know that perfectly well. Elections to the Scottish Parliament has a proportional element and the SNP are the largest party there too. Personally, I prefer proportional representation. Scots are perfectly able to make their minds up, the majority were against independence in 2014, fair enough but things can and have changed. Whether Brexit will change enough minds, we’ll just have to wait and see.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->

Really?
Maybe...
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland

08-10-2018, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Exactly the same as those of us wishing to leave the EU! Strange that you can see it clearly when it comes to Scotland going it alone, but cannot accept the same with the EU. Could it be perhaps because it's very easy to talk about "Independence" but I always assumed "independence" meant taking your own country and making it better. How can you do that if you are still tied to, if not the rest of the Union, then to the EU's apron strings? Surely that is not true independence.
We’ve been here before. Nothing wrong with sovereign states working together for mutual advantage. I would like to see Scotland as a sovereign state and make its own mind up.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland

08-10-2018, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Full Independence means a new currency, we will not allow them to affect the value of the £.

There will be arguments about the share of the National Debt they take on, particularly in respect of the bail out of the banks.

It would also mean a Hard Border.
It’s our pound too! But an eventual new Scottish pound may be the only answer. Now there a can of worms!
Proportion of National Debt is for negotiation.
No need for a hard border if both sides don’t want it.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->

Really?
By the end of 2018 or early 2019? Cutting it fine to get the wheels in motion isn't she?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
It’s our pound too! But an eventual new Scottish pound may be the only answer. Now there a can of worms!
Proportion of National Debt is for negotiation.
No need for a hard border if both sides don’t want it.
Hi

It is your £ until the day you leave, then it is not.

If you wish to keep the £ you will be subject to the same fiscal policy as the UK, which rather defeats the object of Independence.

Independence is like Brexit, a whole load of hassle and nowhere near as straight forward as some make out.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland

08-10-2018, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It is your £ until the day you leave, then it is not.

If you wish to keep the £ you will be subject to the same fiscal policy as the UK, which rather defeats the object of Independence.

Independence is like Brexit, a whole load of hassle and nowhere near as straight forward as some make out.
Growth commission states that since the SNP are not proposing a formal union, the U.K. government can’t stop us using the pound. That would mean us following monetary policy and interest rates set by the Bank of England until such time as we can go it alone with our own currency (period of 10 years they say! Which seems a long time to me). Some say that is a price worth paying for eventual complete independence, others would like to go the whole hog and create a Scottish currency straight away as a symbol of new found sovereignty. The commission also contains plans to help fund containing UK debt, £5bn a year to help meet debt commitments and fund international aid .I believe.
We can agree it’s not in the least bit straight forward!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Growth commission states that since the SNP are not proposing a formal union, the U.K. government can’t stop us using the pound. That would mean us following monetary policy and interest rates set by the Bank of England until such time as we can go it alone with our own currency (period of 10 years they say! Which seems a long time to me). Some say that is a price worth paying for eventual complete independence, others would like to go the whole hog and create a Scottish currency straight away as a symbol of new found sovereignty. The commission also contains plans to help fund containing UK debt, £5bn a year to help meet debt commitments and fund international aid .I believe.
We can agree it’s not in the least bit straight forward!
Surely though, if Scotland want independence from England, but remain in the EU, the currency would be the Euro....I would imagine that one of the points that the EU would insist on when considering Scotlands application to join the EU, would be to show loyalty by reverting to the Euro...
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland

08-10-2018, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Surely though, if Scotland want independence from England, but remain in the EU, the currency would be the Euro....I would imagine that one of the points that the EU would insist on when considering Scotlands application to join the EU, would be to show loyalty by reverting to the Euro...
Maybe. Would form part of the negotiations I suppose. A lot of SNP supporters (not me) voted to leave so I imagine they would resist the Euro.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top