Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 05:06 PM

Re: Hs2

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I so agree with your post, Barry. Here in the West Country our railways badly need upgrading, To mention one, the line that goes through Dawlish. We are ignored down here.
This project should be scrapped.
Tiff, point im making at last, infrastructure is needed throughout the country so its a start.

London gets vast amounts of taxpayers money spent on it, so its time the government stating to think about all areas of the country that have been ignored for years.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 05:08 PM

I'm a sucker for progress in the shape of big bold London orientated projects. And brexit says they're more important than ever: anything that boosts London on the world stage.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2018, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
What does HS2 mean for passengers? The Department for Transport says the project will cut Birmingham-London journey times from 1hr 21min to 49min. Once the second phase is complete, Manchester-London journeys would take 1hr 8min (down from 2hr 8min), and Birmingham-Leeds 57min (down from 2hr).

It will take cars off the road, good for the environment and londinium abot time some of taxpayers money is spent to benefit those North of Watford
Can't see that this new rail will take cars off the road when the cost of rail travel is so prohibitive. A complete carbuncle of an idea in my opinion. The money would be better spent on other projects.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2018, 01:20 AM

Hi

It is a money tree for those working on it.

One of my Ex Staff has more than doubled his pay by taking a job with them.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2018, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I agree the railways need upgrading Nom, but there are many new lines needed in the north as well as many others in the north that need upgrading, all of which will be sacrificed for one grandiose white elephant project that will benefit no-one other than those wanting a slightly quicker journey to London, and a project that will invariably cost at least three times the projected costs, as all these vanity projects do. Let's scrap the whole thing and scrap it now, for goodness sake It's already cost over £4 billion before a yard of track is laid.
isn't it really designed to carry the top end of town business men/women from their various destinations into london every day whilst having breakfast in the dinning car? after all it's them wot runs London?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
isn't it really designed to carry the top end of town business men/women from their various destinations into london every day whilst having breakfast in the dinning car? after all it's them wot runs London?
... exactly.

And management from London HQs to satellite offices whilst entertaining overseas visitors.

I doubt my OAP London bus/tube pass will allow me on it tho.
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 02:38 AM

I have never heard a more hair-brained scheme. This country's government has lost it's reason. I knew they were mostly over-bloated self-seeking gravy-train riding arses and HS2 is just proving it to me.

Just look at all the square miles of grade A farmland they will be ruining for ever, and all those lovely houses that will have to be demolished, throwing people out of their homes. Oh we all know that there will be compensation don't we? But tell me, even if the journey is shortened by 30 minutes, I cannot see the point ! This country cannot afford the millions and millions that it will cost. What are they trying to do, bankrupt our poor country ?

The destruction they will cause building this white elephant is insane.

They should be funding NHS, Police, Education, etc.
And another thing, stop building these pricey houses and concentrate on building AFFORDABLE houses, so that more young people can get on the housing ladder.

Government, for pity's sake get some common sense and get your priorities right. Discount the HS2, you know you are only trying to "keep up with the Jones's" but don't you see there is no sensible point making a faster train line, our country is too small for it to be any true benefit. I think they've brain-washed themselves. Stupid blind idiots
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 10:23 AM

I do so agree.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 10:27 AM

Memo to the North, please note Southerners dont want you to have any improvements. Stand by to be fracked.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 11:35 AM

I'm not sure that's fair nom, it's a lot of money could be spent on many things the north could use better than a rail road for the rich. I've traveled extensively around the north and areas that need a boost won't be helped by this.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top