Join for free
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2018, 09:23 AM

Keep your eyes peeled.

This last week has seen the arrival of lots of migrant birds, many will move inland in search of a safe haven with a supply of food and water.

The common ones will be Robins, Blackbirds, and Thrushes, but among them will be Fieldfares, Redwings, and Bramblings, a few pieces of fruit going over, goes down well.

TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2018, 10:04 AM

Re: Keep your eyes peeled.

My feeders are full, just waiting. I hope I get some visitors!
I bought a new hanging bird table and a metal one that the small birds can access but hopefully the pigeons and crows can't.
I'm letting them have the old table in a different part of the garden so the little ones don't get bullied
Lots in the tree, fat balls etc. Just waiting for SIL to drill some logs for me.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2018, 10:16 AM

I saw a really unusual bird on a grass verge of a road yesterday. It was quite big but not as big or as willowy as a pheasant
It was reddish on its head and breast but it's wings were patterned black and white
It seemed happy to be strutting and made no attempt to fly away from passing cars
Any ideas Nom?

Or anyone else for that matter!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2018, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I saw a really unusual bird on a grass verge of a road yesterday. It was quite big but not as big or as willowy as a pheasant
It was reddish on its head and breast but it's wings were patterned black and white
It seemed happy to be strutting and made no attempt to fly away from passing cars
Any ideas Nom?

Or anyone else for that matter!
Could well be a game bird bred for shooting. Many escape and become feral, two that spring to mind are Red-legged partridge, and Chukkar.

Red-legged partridge.

Neither quite fits your decription, im wondering if it could be just an immature pheasant.

Ah brain just kicked in, possibly Grey Partridge.

Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2018, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Could well be a game bird bred for shooting. Many escape and become feral, two that spring to mind are Red-legged partridge, and Chukkar.

Red-legged partridge.

Neither quite fits your decription, im wondering if it could be just an immature pheasant.
Ooh yes that furthest one is very like it
But it seemed redder
Could have been the light though
It was bright pre-storm sunlight

So it was a red legged partridge?
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

14-10-2018, 12:54 PM

No not that grey..

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top