Join for free
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2009, 11:14 AM

Winter is near - will the power fail ?

The time of power cuts is nigh, do you have a UPS, (uninterrupted power supply), it the power fails it stops your PC from crashing thus preventing data loss, just think, all those photos and personal stuff you cherish could be lost.

I've been using one for 8 years, they cost about £30, if the power fails it has internal batteries (which recharge) that instantly supply your PC in a mili-second, they also have surge protectors too so you're completely safe.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2009, 12:13 PM

Re: Winter is near - will the power fail ?

We are very lucky, do not lose our power very often, although we have a generator, only used it once...............
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2009, 12:16 PM

We rarely lose our power down here ....... famous last words!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2009, 12:18 PM

Very good idea Denis, as it happens we've had two power failures this morning, (35 minutes and then 10 minutes)what the electricity companies like to call 'unplanned outages' mind you there's been heavy snow storms in the vicinity and the it's caught the gritters on the hop 'cos it's usually not 'till next month when the snow comes around here

I have an inverter and a battery (Which is basically the same as a UPS) for the computers and I will be getting a bigger set up soon so we can continue to watch TV and have a few lights on while they fix the problem.

We also invested all of £10 in one of those little camping gas things so we can make a cuppa and boil an egg - best ten quid we ever spent.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2009, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Moli ->
We are very lucky, do not lose our power very often, although we have a generator, only used it once...............
Can I ask what size generator you have Moli ? I'm thinking about one of those as well but mainly for the motorhome (If I ever get one)
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2009, 01:43 PM

Aldi were selling generators last year Harvey, two-stroke petrol priced at £80, the one I've got gives out 750 watts and it runs for ever on half a gallon of fuel.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2009, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Can I ask what size generator you have Moli ? I'm thinking about one of those as well but mainly for the motorhome (If I ever get one)
Same size as Nero's
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2009, 04:28 PM

Power outages are fairly common here in Summer: bad weather, overloaded circuits with too many ACs on, downed trees on powerlines, etc. Fortunately they rarely happen in Winter (knock wood). I have a surge protector; have never had any problems with the computer during them. My TV and CD player will run on batteries, and I have a good supply of candles and an oil lamp! Am quite used to outages.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top