Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 11:36 PM

Going away for Christmas/New year.

I know it's early but now's the time to start booking!

I wondered how many of our members are going away over the festive period - or thinking of doing?
Tony & I nearly always go somewhere for the new year - sometimes in this country sometimes Spain. We've had some brilliant New Year's in Benidorm.

I'm not sure what we're doing this year - For the first time in 20 years we're considering giving it a miss and going the first week in January instead. It would be a lot cheaper.

We've never been away for Christmas but know quite a lot of people who do.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 11:48 PM

Re: Going away for Christmas/New year.

Would never go away for Christmas, usually we have a big gathering here .

carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 11:57 PM

How about the New Year?
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I know it's early but now's the time to start booking!

I wondered how many of our members are going away over the festive period - or thinking of doing?
Tony & I nearly always go somewhere for the new year - sometimes in this country sometimes Spain. We've had some brilliant New Year's in Benidorm.

I'm not sure what we're doing this year - For the first time in 20 years we're considering giving it a miss and going the first week in January instead. It would be a lot cheaper.

We've never been away for Christmas but know quite a lot of people who do.
we don't go away at Christmas, holiday breaks are very expensive, last year we went to Benidorm in February and had atrocious weather virtually every day, even had a major typhoon which was in the news and we were out in it!

Benidorm has always been our favourite place but we've decided not to holiday abroad any more, been there done that for many years, it's about time we see more of what the UK has to offer without worrying about planes crashing and suffering the usual airport delays
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
we don't go away at Christmas, holiday breaks are very expensive, last year we went to Benidorm in February and had atrocious weather virtually every day, even had a major typhoon which was in the news and we were out in it!

Benidorm has always been our favourite place but we've decided not to holiday abroad any more, been there done that for many years, it's about time we see more of what the UK has to offer without worrying about planes crashing and suffering the usual airport delays
I'm starting to think about not going abroad any more. This year was such a hassle, I was unable to lift our large suitcase onto the luggage rack on the train and had to ask another passenger to do it for me and to get it down at the end of the journey. Then I took a wrong turning three times coming from the airport. It's starting to get too much of a hassle for me.
To stick to the topic, we've never gone on holiday during the winter months and Sheila would never go away over Christmas or the new year, she considers it to be "family" time.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 06:44 AM

Never been on a holiday at Christmas time. I like the Sun so go usual times for mine. I also think its family time around Christmas and the New year.
I agree with you Alan, its harder every year to lift the suitcases and this year to France I will have a big smile on my face when I ask a nice man if he could lift my suitcase into the lockers on board. No way I will do it this
year.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 07:54 AM

Carol, it's far far far too early - good lord, it's only August! I haven't even thought about summer hols yet.
We've never been to anywhere like Benidorm - sounds like hell on earth to us, though it might be different at Christmas.

Dianne and me generally go to Germany in December to see the markets and generally enjoy the food and drink. Hamburg is our favourite place - the city is transformed and is geared up for having a good time. Frankfurt and the Rhine valley is great too. Tried Munich once, but it was pretty miserable and religious (but great in summer).

We haven't made up our minds this year, as I said, far too early. We'll start thinking around October.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

20-08-2014, 08:27 AM

Hmmm - George you'd be surprised how the flights quickly get booked up. The holidays may still be there in Oct/Nov but the flights won't be. If we're going abroad I like to fly from my local airport..
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 08:45 AM

Usually everybody comes to me for Christmas. Last year the kids decided they wanted Christmas in their own place(s), it didn't happen so they all came down to mine for BBQ Christmas Day, ex sis in Law Christmas Eve and son in laws parents Boxing Day. (All local properties)

Same thing this year, they all want Christmas in their new homes, all have invited me to spend Christmas with them. Will have to wait and see what pans out. Might just book Christmas meal and show at the leagues club. Don't fancy driving to Sydney or Canberra.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 09:30 AM

Hi Carol.. I'm the sort who likes to keep his options open. We always make our own arrangements and it's more a matter of seeing what's available rather than setting our sites on particular holiday. If possible we fly from Dyce (Aberdeen), but Edinburgh & Glasgow aren't too far.

So, we'll wait till the camping season is over in the UK and then look around.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top