Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 04:27 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Well now Jem and spitty we could say if we were being charitable and daft enough 'the poor man'.. but I couldn't nor would I use that as an excuse for know it alls or conversation killers as I call em.

No doubt some highly paid chappy would give a million reasons for that kind of behaviour but in good old fashioned laymans term which costs you nowt it boils down to bigotry...an intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself...and lord knows there are enough of those these days about and on the increase too

You do wonder (with respect of course) and with the help of the blessed Dave Allen.. he who dwells and dines with St Peter.. if this clip will replicate if they can get him to the church quicker than usual whilst he is quiet.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2020, 12:01 AM

Dave Allen never fails to make me laugh.

Well the old geezer was laid to rest this morning, I was invited to the wake afterward but didn’t go, his Sons are nearly as bad as him and I’m not a glutton for punishment.

Not his real name Spitty, but he was not a person of any particular interest, nor even a man of common sense, just an old prejudice political bore who was fond of his own voice, there are a few still to be found if one moves in the social retirement circle (the pub ), happily in the next 15/20 years the world will see the last of them.
Common sense tells us if a person is bored listening to us on about the same subject all the time, so it’s time to switch to something else or they'll just walk away, and who could blame them.

I’m reminded of this old book, “How to win friends and influence people”, Nicky Roach, rest his soul, obviously never heard of it. It sold 15 million copies, I never read it but saw some very true Dale Carnegie quotes when I looked it up, for example.

“The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it”

“Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving”

“You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you”

It’s given me an idea to write me own book, could be the story of my social life really, I’ll call it
“How to win fiends while under the influence”
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2020, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
“How to win fiends while under the influence”
Brilliant

I do remember that book too!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2020, 12:36 PM

A friend and I were browsing through a shelf of second hand books when we came across this self help guide.... we were thrown out for uncontrollable laughing. Who ever had donated it must have either found it riveting or found it too much to take in ..Amen.

Apart from Charles Atlas we never had self help books to widen our knowledge...we learnt all that from listening to door step gossip from the biddies who knew almost everything..or if we were very daring we would go into the news agents and read the problem page of adult magazines. Got a few frights at times at some of the things in there but at least the lads were forewarned as to what could happen to their dangly bits if they weren't careful

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2020, 01:00 PM

Self Help, have to admit for a short time, circa age 14, the lads and me would go into a shop and Help Ourselves.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2020, 10:34 PM

Good book title find there Solo, made me laugh.

The missionary position, everything right and proper, we used to be told it distinguishes us from the animals, one of the reasons humans are so special, but I suppose it’s a case of any which way you can.

Brings back memories of my early years of married life and the “rhythm method”, the church’s answer to the french letter, sure where would you get a guitar and a drum in the middle of the night, though Spitty and Pug would have no bother with that, just jump out of the bed buck naked and grab the old gee tar, “Now what’s yer favourite tune my dear?”

There was a big busty blonde middle aged lady in our local back in the 80’s, very good humoured woman, she used to fix the flowers in the church, anyway when she got a few drinks down her she would wag her chest (covered of course) and say to the men “I’m Linda, and if ya don’t like my peaches don’t shake my tree”
Never knew what she really meant, one would have to be a strong man to shake her trunk, but it made us all laugh, she’s in her 90’s now and she comes in for a gin and tonic every Wednesday, very frail but still smiling, but nothing to wag about unfortunately, all gone down south, the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.

Condoms were illegal here, but my boss at that time was from Newry in the North and keep me supplied, I’m not positive but I think it was only in the 80’s when you could buy them here.

Biffo, you mentioned sausageless sausages in a recent post. I think that all started with the Arab oil crisis in the 70’s, those were hard times indeed, 3 day working weeks and petrol Q’s, the poor sausages makers had it particularly bad, and they couldn’t make both ends meat.
I also remember in the 80’s when all the bars got in new washing machine things for doing the glasses, no more hand washing, one barman told me he had to use “Soapless soap” in the machine, I didn’t believe him and had to laugh, I mean how could you have soapless soap? He showed me the stuff in a plastic bottle, sure enough it was printed on the label, light green in colour it was, what’s coming next I wonder, sexless sex?

"Soap-less soaps" are generally referred to as non-soap cleansers. They differ from regular soap in that they contain synthetic materials rather than the fats or oils used in true soap”

Well fancy that now. I’m a bar of Palmolive soap man myself when in the shower, can’t be bothered with those shower gels, they wash away far too quickly and don’t do a proper cleaning job, in my humble opinion.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2020, 08:39 AM

All this stuff about needing new sources of energy, the Sun being the most likely provider. There is going to be many meetings to discuss the options for harnessing the great power of this celestial body, as such, I am considering sitting on the Solar Panel.
solo
UK

28-02-2020, 07:09 PM

spitty...when you have been soaked to the skin more times than a human can take discussing anything Solar is dodgy....very dodgy

LOL Jem you reminded of a time when living abroad we had to buy certain 'necessaries for hubbies' whilst back in UK. I went into Boots and asked for a gross of Durex and could I have discount on that. I thought the male dispenser was going to have a heart attack... but I got my goodies and the discount. Not all us women lay back and thought of England as those adult mags would have had you lads believe.

On a similar theme but does not involve Boots

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

28-02-2020, 10:42 PM

As you well know most married couples over here had big families back then, methinks it was a case of lie back and think of the children allowance cheque every month.

If your going up on the roof Spitty don’t forget to wear a warm overcoat in this weather me aul son.
If you want to sit on a comfortable panel, write into the BBC’s panel games dept.

I think we’re all being conned, we’re sitting on a big ball of energy surrounded by billions more balls of energy in the universe, some, like the Sun have so much of it that they shoot it out to space to get rid of it, surely to God there is a cheap efficient way to grab all we want for free, of course there is a way, but then all the energy rip off profits will be no more, and we’ll never get to hear about it.
Just like that chap I read about in the Reader’s Digest in the late 1950’s, it was in the USA and he discovered a very cheap formula to add to sea water to make a fuel that could power cars and ships, he even demonstrated it for the US Navy, then he disappeared, neither him nor his formula were heard of again.
So as long as greed flourishes there will never be fairness in the energy game.
All that wind we had non stop during the last three weeks, and the promise of more to come, must have stored enough surplus wind energy to give all the ordinary Joes and Jills free electricity for a couple of months, or at least half price.
I would bet that if enough people installed mini wind turbines in their back gardens some new law would come out to make it illegal, yeh just can’t beat the big boys when it comes to controlling energy supply, they have us all by the throat and they’ll never let go.

I’m restricting my visits to the local until this corona thing passes over, maybe one night a week during the week and just after lunchtime during the day when there are fewer people there.
I always thought a corona was a cigar, far safer to smoke one of them than catch this dreaded thing, wouldn’t that be ironic if a chap suffered all the withdraws of giving up smoking and avoided smoking for years, then went out and picked up this bug with the same name as his favourite cigar. God preserve us all.

I’m now going to get a bottle of wine from the devil’s cellar (where did I hear that before) and a half corona cigar then watch one of the finest horror films ever made, in my opinion that is, “The Exorcist”

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

29-02-2020, 08:35 AM

Hmmmm, a mini wind turbine in the garden, I'd be a Fan of that.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top