Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 07:31 PM

Re: Where the Hell Are The Fjords Anyway

From the mountain top

well above the snow line

This is what OGF should see on his day trips out
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Thanks for bringing us back to the thread Mags!
We were digressing a bit!

Regards Donkeyman!
You're welcome Donkeyman!

This is after all Foxy's holiday thread
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 09:39 PM

Bet he is have a great time.Wonder if he will pick up a toy Gnome a a momento
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 10:47 AM

Thanks for all the messages everyone, and thanks Realspeed for the wonderful photos, it seems you managed to get to far more places than we did although we only went for a week and I think you said that you did a fortnight. We also went with friends and seemed to always be doing stuff (everyone made me the organiser of the day's events) Hence the lack of reports on this one....Sorry!..

No problem with the breakfast Pyxell even though that was probably the best thing at that hotel (rooms could do with a refurb) Thank God the ships cabins were perfect, as usual... I'm a good sailor and the North sea was like a millpond for the most part. The only rough weather we had was as we sailed through the Straights of Dover on the way home and I slept through most of it.....

No running Mags I'm afraid.....
It wasn't until we were sailing home that Mrs Fox and I got up early and did a couple of laps of the deck, walking I hasten to add and It wasn't possible to go all the way round as the front bit (The Bows for the sailors reading this) were closed off, so we just went back and forth for twenty minutes, still very enjoyable in the brisk sea air and the good weather...

We did manage three trips ashore and photos and reports will follow so don't despair... Don't expect Realspeed standards on the photos though...
So it's back home now and the gentle hum of the washing machine and a quick tour of Tesco for supplies....

PS:- Trolls Realspeed, Mrs Fox fell in love with the Trolls, not the gnomes.... I think she married one.....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 10:58 AM

What a shame it's all over Foxy. Nice to have you back though. Enjoy Tesco's, I'm not sure they sell whale blubber though.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

09-06-2019, 11:15 AM

OGF
Our ship was smaller as well so could go further up the Fjords.
Did you do the Flam Railway? the museum of old stuff was worth a visit.
just one of the exhibits

or go to the Viking Heritage site to see the original houses and boats.

The history was so interesting. You must have/should have seen those at least

old type sledge

Anyway isn't it a beautiful country? bet you want to go back again same as me.

Train at Flam station

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
What a shame it's all over Foxy. Nice to have you back though. Enjoy Tesco's, I'm not sure they sell whale blubber though.
I was talking to a bloke off the ship who had been to the fishmarket in Bergen Longdogs, and he told me he had sampled some Whale Meat, he reckoned it tasted just like Beef......So I bought a Beef steak from Tesco to see what it was like....

No snow while we were there except on the mountain tops, and we thought the captain was having a laugh when he reported that the temperature in Bergen would reach 25*C, but after the thunderstorm while queueing up for the Vernicular railway (and getting soaked) it turned out he was right....
I bet it would have looked amazing in November with the snow though....

I'd hoped to see the northern lights and Killer Whales while we were there but ended up seeing neither, apparently it was the wrong time of the year....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

09-06-2019, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
It's that North Sea crossing worries me!
When we go, next year I hope, we'll fly out and start from there!
It was so calm all the way Ruthio, the only rough weather we had was the return journey through the Straights of Dover.
I would never fly out nowadays, we've done it before and although I like flying, it's nice to enjoy the ship from start to finish. It's been my experience that you don't get very long on shore and although you do get a taster of the destination, the real experience is on the ship and sailing.
If I really wanted to get to know a place I would fly both ways and stay a few days at least.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I was talking to a bloke off the ship who had been to the fishmarket in Bergen Longdogs, and he told me he had sampled some Whale Meat, he reckoned it tasted just like Beef......So I bought a Beef steak from Tesco to see what it was like....

No snow while we were there except on the mountain tops, and we thought the captain was having a laugh when he reported that the temperature in Bergen would reach 25*C, but after the thunderstorm while queueing up for the Vernicular railway (and getting soaked) it turned out he was right....
I bet it would have looked amazing in November with the snow though....

I'd hoped to see the northern lights and Killer Whales while we were there but ended up seeing neither, apparently it was the wrong time of the year....
That is a shame. It would have been great to see it. Still on my bucket list.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 03:41 AM

That was a fine report and a great photo, OGF, however, for the life of me, I can't see a fjord over your shoulder . Are you sure you were in Norway? .

Seriously, though I have heard, and can concur from Realspeed's spectacular photos that the trip is stunning and hard to beat for natural beauty. I can't wait to see your pics!

Though easily missed, the tip about the advantage of sailing a smaller ship was a good one, Realspeed. I have heard likewise from friends.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top