Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2011, 12:11 AM

Coach holidays

We used to go on coach holidays at one time when my wife was alive, and we liked them a lot, I would still like to go on these 5 and 8 day hols, but these firms dont seem to cater for the single person, that is unless you are prepared to pay for a double room, any one ever been on one as a single and what was the experience like.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2011, 01:11 PM

Re: Coach holidays

Aitch I haven't been on one myself, being shut on a coach with strangers for a week is my idea of hell

I do know single women who have been on coach holidays here and abroad and they had a good time.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2011, 03:33 PM

I've never been on a coach holiday so can't give a view on the subject, I'm afraid.

However, I googled "Coach holidays for singles" and found this site:

http://www.shearings.com/featured-ho...le-room-finder

I hope it helps ....
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2011, 05:53 PM

A lady at my yoga class lives alone and went on a singles coach trip to Italy. She'd never done it before, it was a leisurely walking holiday and she and the others all got on very well. She's going again next year.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2011, 08:27 PM

I have just come back from a coach holiday to Scotland. I went with my three sisters-in-law (all single ladies) and this is the first time I have been on a coach holiday ever. On this holiday was an 89 year old gentleman whose wife had died about three years ago and they had bee together for 60+ years. He has been on several different coach holidays since she died and he had no worries about going on his own. He said that he is never lonely and always enjoys himself. At meal times he was placed at a table with an elderly couple and their grandson. As the week went on I really came to admire this old gentleman and we spent the evenings chatting with him either in the bar or in the lounge. One of my sisters-in-law said she wanted to take him home with her!!!!!!. He was full of jokes, his life experiences and general banter. He is off again in another couple of months on a tinsel and turkey holiday to Weston-super-mare and I think he will meet others from the Scottish holiday who will be going on the Weston holiday. I think if you are not the shy type and prepared to talk and be friendly a coach holiday can be a very good idea, especially if you choose one which has organised day trips, entertainment, quizzes, music, etc. as our holidiay had. A lot of these sort of holidays are organised around a "mature" age group and there was also a lady who was holidaying on her own in our party. She didn't find herself on her own either and everyone seems to talk to each other. You can but give it a try.

Ediited to say:
I think most do have a single supplement unfortunately, although there are a few that don't.
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2011, 10:21 PM

The firm I wanted to go with was Shearings, but they wouldnt even consider a single supplement, (I would have been going with 2 married friends) but I wasnt prepared to pay £400 for 5 days, but I have since been told, that if I had used a travel agent, thy would probably have been able to arrange summat as they say you live and learn, so till next year.
I have been on coach holidays before, that was when my wife was alive, and also I was a coach driver, but I never did tours, just day excursions, and the holiday I wanted this time was to Scotland, my friends went twice, to Fort William and to Braemar
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2011, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by aitch ->
The firm I wanted to go with was Shearings, but they wouldnt even consider a single supplement, (I would have been going with 2 married friends) but I wasnt prepared to pay £400 for 5 days, but I have since been told, that if I had used a travel agent, thy would probably have been able to arrange summat as they say you live and learn, so till next year.
I have been on coach holidays before, that was when my wife was alive, and also I was a coach driver, but I never did tours, just day excursions, and the holiday I wanted this time was to Scotland, my friends went twice, to Fort William and to Braemar
That's a shame Aitch I do get the feeling single elderly people are sometimes looked on as second class citizens.
I hope you have more luck next year .
aitch
Wigan

06-09-2011, 10:59 PM

And yet, if I had driven up there, they had single rooms empty, surely a room with a person in is better than an empty one,
aitch
Wigan

07-09-2011, 12:40 AM

How many people on here would be prepared to go on holiday and share a room with a member of the opposite sex, knowing it would halve the cost and the rooms had twin beds, no smutty remarks just proper answers.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2011, 09:41 AM

I used to go on coach holidays on my own and never had a problem, I used to get talking to lots of people but didnt force myself on them. I was there to have a rest as well as them, i thoroughly enjoyed myself, i went to cornwall the first time.
In the evening most people sat around as a group so that was always good fun.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top