Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 09:56 AM

Re: We're free at last

Originally Posted by basser ->
Yippee the British are now free of the EU yoke, so who will be next.
Yes, place your bets! I wonder what odds the bookies are offering for who's next?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 10:13 AM

I think for EU has spent a lot of time listening to the likes of of Blair , Lucas , and Starmer creeping about behind the backs of our negotiators telling the EU there would be a Peoples Vote to remain so the EU never took us seriously or really thought we would leave

At last , the EU now has to take us seriously, those who sought to prevent our leaving have been laid to rest and we can move forward from 3 years of crippling stagnation.

It will be good if we can get a sensible trade agreement with the EU but if they want to play tough with the scary competition on their doorstep I hope we will have the strength of will to walk away next December. Ok that may mean a bit of extra paperwork but that didn't prevent us from trading with the Common Market countries before we joined and we didn't have the advantage of modern communications then.

I have no doubt there will be some difficulties but nothing we can't get used to or overcome.

I think now is a time for optimism and I just hope the yong who demand everything and want it now will be able to appreciate that eventually.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
A lot of lessons to learn.
Mainly in Brussels though Solasch....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Mainly in Brussels though Solasch....
HAPPY BREXIT DAY, OGF!!!

Donkeyman!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 12:07 PM

The Germans can sell their cars elswhere, The French can do the same with their Onions, The Dutch can do the same with their flowers, The Spanish would be lost without the British tourist industry so we should go elsewhere.

These few things would quickly bring down the EU, or and we should keep the fish we catch for ourselves, That would really Ruin The EU members
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 12:09 PM

Morning all, what a wonderful day. 47 years of being ruled over, is over.

I think the Sun newspaper speaks for 17.4 million and many other of us today:-

The Sun rose today on a new Britain. We at this Sun know what sort of Britain we want.

For many people our independence, hard-won and finally delivered, feels liberating and exhilarating even if nothing tangible has yet changed.
For others, this is a day to mourn.
But the Brexit argument has been settled by two decisive national votes. The conditions are right to put the division and rancour behind us. For our United Kingdom to be truly united.

That will mean Leavers respecting and understanding their opponents’ sorrow. A tall order, perhaps, given the vitriol they have endured, but essential.
It will mean the more extreme Remainers ending the abuse - and resisting the temptation to seize triumphantly on any setbacks that now arise. Indeed, it would be better to let the very terms ‘’Leavers’’ and ‘’Remainers’’ fall into irrelevance and disuse.

Ours is a great country, of course, but one with substantial problems and a deep economic divide.
The new freedoms over our laws, money, borders and trade - and our powerful new Government - can be catalysts for a vibrant, energetic, prosperous and more harmonious new era where wealth and opportunity are spread more evenly across the country
EU MUST GRASP
THE NEW REALITY

It can be achieved by everyone coming together. By all of us getting behind Britain. That, of course, includes the millions of EU migrants who have made their lives here, make a vital contribution and must never misconstrue Brexit as a vote against them.

Our island nation was simply never a good fit for the EU. We will be better off outside it - and the 27 other nations may well be too without our opposition holding them back. But it is vital, during this year’s standstill ‘’transition period’’ that they grasp what Brexit actually means.

The omens for a trade deal look poor. The EU is living in the past, issuing bleak threats as if still dealing with the faint-hearted Theresa May Government and a country racked with self-doubt.
It acts as if Boris Johnson could even now negate Brexit by locking us into EU rules and ECJ judgements and allowing unfettered access to our fishing waters.
But everything changed at the moment of his victory. His Government has a huge mandate and will sign the barest of free trade deals, or none, rather than sacrifice ANY sovereignty.
Unless Brussels comes to terms with that, months of talks will be wasted.

We will remain an integral part of the continent of Europe, physically and culturally. We can be the EU’s strongest friend as well as its neighbour. But if our two sides cannot forge a trade deal it will be because of monumental failure by the EU to recognise the new reality.

Boris is determined to extract us entirely from Brussels’ reach.

If the EU think he’s bluffing it’s mistaken.

UNQUOTE

Let's hope everyone is listening.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 12:14 PM

What really pleases me about leaving is the thought of the French and Germans later on having to fork out their own money to support the poorer countries in the EU , and there are quite a few.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 12:16 PM

Hi

No celebrating for me.

We are still paying in and still following EU Rules until the end of this year.

I will celebrate then
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 12:19 PM

Lots of Noisy, but justified, celebrations round here last night.

In spite of being totally unbiased, I must offer my congratulations to all Brexiteers.

The opposition threw so many logs on the line, in continuous attempts to kick Brexit into touch, that it feels amazing that Brexit still won through, in the end.

Congrats, also, to Boris. He came on board, when all seemed lost, and, despite all the personal put downs, legal actions, etc., he managed to get Brexit done.

Not finished yet, though, as remainers are re-appearing ready to damage the future trade agreements in "I told you so mode".

shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 12:23 PM

Even now, people such as Macron still don't get it.

Yesterday he stated publicly that Brexit was an alarm call for the EU to reform. Yet he couldn't resist at the end also stating that Brexit was caused by ''Lies, exaggerations, simplifications, and cheques that have been promised but will never be delivered''.

With sour, delusional and unaccepting idiots such as him, the EU will never move on and prosper with us as a good equal neighbour.
The sooner he goes and is replaced with a more forward thinking leader of France, the better.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top