Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 10:19 AM

Re: Big Brother

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
oh the piano tuner? blind?
Meg - can I call him a jerk again
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Crikey - that must be a first

Now, I see that as a symptom of the nanny state - thinking everyone has the potential to do you harm when, in reality, most people won't. The worst case I've ever been exposed to was being followed by a man for weeks and I didn't notice until I got home one day and there he was, sitting on my settee - you don't have to go on a forum to attract weirdos, it can happen anywhere without any input from you whatsoever; but it rarely does happen.
I don't see it as a danger in that way I just think many people will live to regret giving so much away when they get turned down for jobs or potential partners see what they have been up to previously etc. I know an ex boss of mine lost her job over facebook when she revealed so much respect for her went out of the window and she could no longer carry on in her role.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 11:31 AM

I just have to get on a bus to attract strange people!
The only odd thing on social media was a guy who got my e-mail add and wanted to know if I'd ever had an "apple-pie" bed made for me!
Avoid eye contact at all times even with cctv cameras, that's my advice!
Oh, and gorillas!
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

05-06-2013, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I just have to get on a bus to attract strange people!
The only odd thing on social media was a guy who got my e-mail add and wanted to know if I'd ever had an "apple-pie" bed made for me!
Avoid eye contact at all times even with cctv cameras, that's my advice!
Oh, and gorillas!
OMG twizzie you would I imagine look lovely in an 'apple pie' bed and I would love to pour the custard all over you! - sorry we will now be banned to the naughty thread - adult humor OMG!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 03:48 PM

I can see we need BB these days but not the Nanny state.And they say its a Free country... oh yes!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 10:42 PM

It would be interesting that one day, we may all get the chance to view our digital footprint, and answer questions on said material.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I think we are all used to it now, well I am seeing that I live in a city, but it's not so much big brother that annoys me as big Nanny forcing unwanted protection laws on us and banning everything she thinks might harm us, I think Nanny is doing far more damage than Brother, she has already raised a brood of spoilt youngsters, I thing Nanny will be the ruination of the western world.
So true, Jem.

As for Big Brother I never really understood why people were so paranoid about it. Like ben-varrey, I don't think I do anything that would be remotely interesting to anyone, so I don't care if there are CCTV cameras placed in public places if they are going to be of some benefit. But it seems to have been the start of the "ME,ME,ME" society when people got all uppity about supposed invasion of privacy and "knowing our rights".
I once had some money stolen from my hand luggage as it went through the security process at Heathrow Airport. The police told me they would check the CCTV camera which should show the culprit. But when they did, they found that it had not been working...I wish it had!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 11:56 AM

I know when my husband was unhappy the other day at the idea of someone listening into telephone conversations I said to him ten minutes listening to us and they will be glad to put the listening equipment away or asleep at their desks LOL
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 10:50 PM

It's back on Question Time now.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 11:20 AM

I watched that spitfire and they do seem to get hot under the collar but their main argument seemed to be that it was America accessing information about British citizens more than the listening itself. I agree with them that Britain should maybe consider having its own browsers and rely less on American ones.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top