Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Dee
Hamilton, Canada
Dee is female  Dee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 03:02 PM

Doctors Versus Pharmacists/Who Is More Qualified To Prescribe Drugs?

What does everyone think of the idea, of entrusting pharmacists to prescribing what we need for ailments, etc.,( same as your family doctor would), instead of doctors? As they are not doctors, would they therefore really be qualified to make this decision? And, would you really feel safe in taking these drugs, prescribed by the phamacist, instead of your doctor? I think I'd still prefer my doctor's professional opinion, over the pharmacist. Someone had suggested that when the family doctor prescribes certain drugs for an ailment, he fails to mention the disadvantages of taking it, whereas, the pharmacist always points out the disadvantages of drugs to you, when filling out your prescription. So, in that way, he would be more qualified. Would like to know how you feel about this discussion on prescriptions. Who, in your opinion, is more qualified, your doctor, or the pharmacist? Dee
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 03:15 PM

Re: Doctors Versus Pharmacists/Who Is More Qualified To Prescribe Drugs?

They point out the risks after they look at their computer and check it all up something with the right software we could all do at home. Doctors are trained to diagnose and prescribe, even nurses are not allowed to do so.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 03:27 PM

Prefer to stay away from drugs and look for alternatives ....
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 03:34 PM

Pharmacists are highly qualified, pharmacy is a science-oriented profession, and prerequisites for training include several courses in physics, chemistry, biology and advanced mathematics, such as calculus.

Pharmacists are able to 'recommend' certain drugs that can be purchased over the counter for certain conditions only and give 'general' medical advice, this can save the valuable use of GP's surgery time, they can also answer questions relating to drugs that have been prescribed to you relating to their use.

A pharmacist will always refer you back to your doctor for any problems regarding your condition and your medication.

Both are fully qualified in their own expertise and do work together as clear communication can literally be a matter of life and death.

Doctors are more qualified to prescribe for medical conditions, other than just 'coughs and sneezes' etc..
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 04:36 PM

Doctors are people who prescribe medicines about which they know very little to people about whom they know even less.

And some nurses can prescribe a limited range of medicines - but I'm not sure if I trust them.
mothballs
england
mothballs is female 

10-06-2013, 04:37 PM

I often pick my chemists brains ... wouldn't be without him. I've had some very good advice over the years ... including the time when it was a chemist who actually told me the item prescribed on my prescription hadn't been available for years and we were both a little surprised that my doctor didn't know that.

Add to that a lot of them do blood pressure checks now. I've had them do that too as it was quicker than at the Docs.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 05:51 PM

You need both, Doctors to prescribe after an examination and diagnosis, then a pharmacist to put them right, at least that's what happened a lot when I was dispensing!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 06:38 PM

When my children were small, I worked part time for the local pharmacist.
There was a good rapport between the local doctors and him. They would have meetings at the pharmacy to discuss drugs, old and new. And specific patients and their difficulties.
If our doctors prescribed something that the pharmacist wasn't happy about, he'd ring them.

You can't expect the pharmacist to diagnose conditions, the doctor does that.
And I certainly wouldn't let the pharmacist do my blood pressure, I'm happy with my nurse doing it though.
She's a very good nurse and highly qualified and will consult with my GP regarding my medical conditions and prescriptions.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 06:40 PM

Doctors..
.. the pharmacist will only have brief details of a specific condition not all of your medical history contained in your patients notes.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 09:14 PM

The good thing nowadays is that the pharmacist, or usually the technician/dispenser (who I might add does the work) can cross check it to make sure it's compatible with anything you're taking already. Doctors don't always have time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top