Join for free
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 10:54 AM

Re: Stuart Hall sentence

Originally Posted by mothballs ->
Well .. if when I type ...
' This is not a defence of abusers. They should all get bobbit jobs.' ....
you think that is defending abusers?

You were unhappy about the length of his sentence.
Yet you were not too concerned that the rape charge had not been pursued whereas myself I would have much preferred to see him in the dock over that one ... to nail the b*stard.

Yes .. I do wonder with some of these historic cases just how serious some of these old allegations were. And agreed 13 women is a persuasive number ... and he admitted his guilt.
But the day after his trial and sentencing ... we got to read about one of his victims saying
When I was 12 he got me to read passages from a sex manual.
He was grooming me.
When I was 14 he felt my breasts.
When I was 15 he gave me a lift in his car, with some friends, and told us to come back when we were 16.

Another one has told the press he kissed her .... and she was revolted because he put his tongue in her mouth.

So if anything ... it occurs to me that women who claim things like this are actually doing a dis-service to the real victims who suffered. The sheer weight of alleged victims with stories like that reduce it to a circus.

Hence I call it a farce.
Just one thing before I call a halt for me personally - you are reading snippets of a lengthy interview ....
In my opinion, you were defending S Hall ....
You have a dim view of the victims, that is clear - you tar them all with the same brush, this is why I believe Jurors should be trained to do such an important task ....
Case closed for me .....
mothballs
england
mothballs is female 

21-06-2013, 11:22 AM

Oh Pats Pats Pats ... I don't have a dim view of the victims at all.
I do have a wary view of historic cases.
A person is innocent until proven guilty in this country ... aren't they? ... and that is the problem area. In one way you have to admire any victim for coming forward and making an allegation when she must know there is little or no hard evidence to back up her claim.

Jurors been trained?
Be honest .. there isn't really been much call for any juror to make a considered evaluation with these cases is there?
They have already been pronounced guilty in a lot of people's eyes

Case closed for me too .... we can come back to it in 30 or 40 years and see if we can still remember what we said.
Markey
Kent, UK
Markey is female  Markey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 12:26 PM

Yes .. I do wonder with some of these historic cases just how serious some of these old allegations were. And agreed 13 women is a persuasive number ... and he admitted his guilt.
But the day after his trial and sentencing ... we got to read about one of his victims saying
When I was 12 he got me to read passages from a sex manual.
He was grooming me.
When I was 14 he felt my breasts.
When I was 15 he gave me a lift in his car, with some friends, and told us to come back when we were 16.

Another one has told the press he kissed her .... and she was revolted because he put his tongue in her mouth.

So if anything ... it occurs to me that women who claim things like this are actually doing a dis-service to the real victims who suffered. The sheer weight of alleged victims with stories like that reduce it to a circus.

Hence I call it a farce.
Totally agree.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 12:54 PM

Thought you would ....
mothballs
england
mothballs is female 

21-06-2013, 01:10 PM

Thought the case was closed?

You know Pats .. we're not actually disagreeing that much.
We're both dissatisfied with the verdict and sentence.

I'm no criminologist ... or Crown Prosecutor but if I were I'd have done Stuart Hall's trial this way ...

I'd say ...
Bring in the rape victim. I want to interview her. Send all the others home for now because if my conviction has to rely on women who allege a tongue was stuck in her throat ... I'm sunk. It'll be a farce.
I'm championing the victims ... and I'm going to nail the b*stard for rape.
That will shut up anyone (like mothballs) who have doubts over spurious or exaggerated claims.
Then I'd work my way down from rape ... to serious sexual interference ... to groping ... to a tongue in the mouth... and hope to God I didn't need the really lesser offences to beef up his guilt... because I don't need it .. I have .. the rape.

Instead ... the rape allegation (which is the only one Stuart Hall denied) was shelved.

And so ... as Crown Prosecutor I have to get the other 14 women back and just do my best... and hope not too many of them put in compensation claims because it all looks so contrived and tacky or a 'bag a celebrity' bonanza.

Which is why I am a little wary of historic convictions.
And others are unhappy with the severity of the sentence.

Now that is case closed again.
Markey
Kent, UK
Markey is female  Markey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Thought you would ....
Thank you, Pats. I do like to try and see both sides of the coin whenever possible.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 01:54 PM

Thought the case was closed?

You know Pats .. we're not actually disagreeing that much.
We're both dissatisfied with the verdict and sentence.

I'm no criminologist ... or Crown Prosecutor but if I were I'd have done Stuart Hall's trial this way ...

I'd say ...
Bring in the rape victim. I want to interview her. Send all the others home for now because if my conviction has to rely on women who allege a tongue was stuck in her throat ... I'm sunk. It'll be a farce.
I'm championing the victims ... and I'm going to nail the b*stard for rape.
That will shut up anyone (like mothballs) who have doubts over spurious or exaggerated claims.
Then I'd work my way down from rape ... to serious sexual interference ... to groping ... to a tongue in the mouth... and hope to God I didn't need the really lesser offences to beef up his guilt... because I don't need it .. I have .. the rape.

Instead ... the rape allegation (which is the only one Stuart Hall denied) was shelved.

And so ... as Crown Prosecutor I have to get the other 14 women back and just do my best... and hope not too many of them put in compensation claims because it all looks so contrived and tacky or a 'bag a celebrity' bonanza.

Which is why I am a little wary of historic convictions.
And others are unhappy with the severity of the sentence.

Now that is case closed again.
He obviously would have got found not Guilty on the rape, because of lack of DNA evidence.
Therefore he just might have got away with the other offences to follow, therefore I think they got it right, he was found guilty of the lesser charges, although still gross, and he has been punished according to the law at the time of the crime.
As I have said before his biggest punishment, is the shame and the fall from the top to the gutter.
If the first girl had been believed at the time, she would have saved many more girls from this creep.
mothballs
england
mothballs is female 

21-06-2013, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
He obviously would have got found not Guilty on the rape, because of lack of DNA evidence.
Therefore he just might have got away with the other offences to follow, therefore I think they got it right, he was found guilty of the lesser charges, although still gross, and he has been punished according to the law at the time of the crime.
As I have said before his biggest punishment, is the shame and the fall from the top to the gutter.
If the first girl had been believed at the time, she would have saved many more girls from this creep.
I don't think anyone would argue with that.

Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top