Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 11:07 AM

What is yet to come ?

What would your prediction be for discoveries and inventions in the future ? I think that in years to come mankind will try and colonise other celestial bodies. It may even be necessary to do so for the survival of the species.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 12:09 PM

Re: What is yet to come ?

I have no idea Alan but I fear terrible wars will take place as populations grow and resources are depleted.
What will we do when the oil runs out and it will one day.

I feel we will not have the ability to colonise 'other celestial bodies' in any meaningful way.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
What would your prediction be for discoveries and inventions in the future ? I think that in years to come mankind will try and colonise other celestial bodies. It may even be necessary to do so for the survival of the species.
I don't have any idea and every prediction that I have heard in my life has been more or less wrong. For example computers, these were predicted to be making life easier and they have but not in ways they said. Foe example I don't remember hearing that the main use of a home computer would be writing letters or sending emails, or who predicted the fax machine?

Nor do I share Meg's pessimism of a future of war over resources. a hundred years a go they predicted that agriculture could not feed the population of a couple of billion yet here we are feeding many billion more and still wasting over 30% of agricultural production.

Life after oil? of course there will be, who knows what invention will substitute for oil? As oil gets more expensive it will make other forms of power more viable and research will increase, that is the brilliance of capitalism - it evolves.

The real test will come in about 8 billion years when the sun becomes a red dwarf and swallows up the earth but on the bright side other parts of the solar system will become a habitable zone so who knows we might be able to live on Saturn or one of its moons
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 12:52 PM

Dont wanna think about it Alan - the here and now is bad enough, thats progress for ya !!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 01:45 PM

Someone once said that if there had been computers in Victorian times, they would have predicted that by now we would be 6 feet deep in horse sh*t!

Predicting the future isn't easy, but I'd like to see a halt to population expansion rather than increasing the use of our resources.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 06:21 PM

I can't see us being able to effectively inhabit any other planet in any great numbers ever, let alone any time soon, but I do hope we can significantly slow down population expansion and minimise and postpone (if not halt) the onward march of destruction and depletion of the natural wonders and resources of this planet and what we must share; for these things are what naturally sustain all of us at this moment in time and they are finite and precious. We are so dependent on what this planet naturally provides and probably it will always remain this way as long as human beings exist.
I doubt it is possible for humans to live anywhere else in the universe in any meaningful way or in any great numbers. The idea that other planets will become favourable to us and that we can take over those other planets and live there with everything we need for survival before our own planet is destroyed seems highly improbable to me and is fantasy.
8 billion years is a long, long time to wait and for human beings to exist in the expectation that some other planet may become favourable to our living there and ensure our survival before our earth is no more. Life as we know it will have undergone many changes long before then and I believe that by that time we will all have disappeared from this earth anyway. In between now and 8 billion years on (if that is the timespan we are using) as Meg has said, I also think there will be wars over resources when things get short enough and probably these wars, along with famine will be an effective but crude way of reducing the world population, as it always has been.
I don't think it will make much difference what we invent to ward off the inevitable. I think any inventions or discoveries will only be stopgap measures, for what I believe is the inevitable demise of our species - Eventually our time as a species will be up and humans will have gone. I don't think it will matter one bit.

Moving even further into the realms of fantasy, it's just a thought, but if there is an afterlife of some sort and we live on in infinity, can any of us bear to stand by and watch what I believe will inevitably happen. I don't think I can, so I hope there isn't any sort of afterlife.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 08:21 PM

THings to come....................

CHina buys up all of western world companies & exports all of their assets to CHina.

CHina , owning all the naTUral resources across the globe, limits their use to their own people

AFrican people begin to migrate north & terrorise EUrope, by their sheer numbers and ignorance born of years of incompetent & corrupt leaders.

Brazil is devastated by insect pests decimating their rainforest, the source of much of their wealth.
THe knock on effect is that MEat & CEreal crops fail year after year.

EUrope after being weakened by lack of water, pumped direct to CHina by then in desperation sends nuclear warheads to CHina, but they are easily intercepted & blow up what remains of Europe.

AFricans deemed inferior by CHina are systematically destroyed.

THe end of the world as we know it will end by being engulfed in fire.

THis is what many seers, prophets, oracles, shamen & contemplatives have predicted for aeons.

"The world will end by fire after domination by a yellow skinned race."

Sorry, but it'll all end in tears !
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 08:29 PM

OOPS. forgot to mention AUstralia, INdia & NOrth AMerica RUssia & Canada.

Canada will not be a cause for concern. THe few remaining inhabitants surviving from a deep freeze brought on by nuclear dust clouds will survive by scavenging, for a while at least. DItto RUssia.
India will sink in its own mire, disease, pestilence, malaise & death by drowning as the rivers silt up & overflow. NO hope for them
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

21-06-2013, 08:31 PM

Was that the sort of thing you wanted to know ALan?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 08:54 PM

Your post and the prediction is even more frightening and depressing than mine Robert. At least my post was thinking in the far distant future.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top