Join for free
Page 9 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 11:01 PM

Re: Kitchen renovation

Originally Posted by Lila ->
Surveyor turned up, measured, told me my cooker as it is is illegal, and I'll go back to B&Q tomorrow for a revised estimate and to arrange a date.

I wonder what he means about it being illegal?

He says the gas rings are safe, and of course they are checked annually.
Illegal is not the term to use and shows a total lack of understanding of the gas regulations.
It could be that your cooker is not installed to the Manufacturers Instructions ( M I's ) We, as registered gas engineers, have to install appliances according to the Mi's, BS and current codes of practice. The MI's overrule all others.
Perhaps your cooker tube isn't installed correctly, has no stability bracket or safety chain, too close to cupboards etc etc.
As Tpin explained, the term ' surveyor ' should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lila ->
But you can tell quite a lot by asking them a few questions. B&Q would have to check what they know as otherwise they would not be able to guarantee the work. As they said, you could get someone else to do it more cheaply but then it wouldn't be covered by their guarantee.
Ah yes, that old chestnut, THE GUARANTEE.
Check what who knows? The surveyor?
Well I know an ex butcher who got a job in the tool section, after 6 months he applied for the job of "surveyor". He went on a weeks in house course. Hmmmm

What guarantee is that?
Workmanship?
Product?
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 07:31 AM

Well, what guarantee and what qualifications do all the others offer?

It was the electric oven part not the gas part that the man said was illegal. He said the gas rings were safe, which I'd assumed they were as the gas people check them every year anyway.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 10:18 AM

Was the surveyor a qualified electrician as well? I doubt it. I suspect he was just a salesman pushing for his selling bonus
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 11:04 AM

Ten weeks will soon go by Lila, you can look forward with quiet anticipation to your new kitchen.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 12:48 PM

Edited.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 04:47 PM

Been back to make final alterations, all signed for. Just have to wait till May for delivery and start dates.

No, the salesperson is the one at the shop, the person who comes round has to have the necessary qualifications.

(Although she is only a salesperson, I think she has to know quite a lot to make sure she's ordering everything the installation team will need and everything I think that I want.)
Lila
London UK

11-04-2016, 07:26 AM

Having new boiler installed today. This is not by the same people who are doing the kitchen.
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 01:35 PM

How did it go, Lila? Are you pleased with it?
Lila
London UK

17-04-2016, 01:45 PM

Yes, so far. It's nice to be able to set a time and a temperature and then let it do its thing. And I still need it ... frosty this morning.

Page 9 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top