Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 06:03 PM

Customer Services

I'm going to have a moan.

On my way home from town yesterday, I called in Dunelms.
I was only looking for pram-size cotton sheet or blanket for my eldest dog to sleep on, I thought cotton would be cooler for her.

The first aggravation was all the small sheets are now 'fitted', which I understand might be for safety to stop them ruckling up, but they were no good to me as I didn't need to stretch them over a mattress, so they wouldn't haver laid flat.

Then I found a small cotton blanket, but it had no indication of size on the label whatsoever. Very prettily wrapped around a ring of stiff cardboard and tied with a pink ribbon, but that doesn't help with practical things like what flippin' size it is. The prices along the shelf were all in a mess too, I wasn't sure what applied to what even.

I looked for an assistant. Not a soul in sight.
I wandered around the entire lower floor in the end - still no one about.

Eventually I found a girl near the tills to come and help me.
She said most of their staff was away because it was the school holidays.
Why can't they get better organised? They know the holiday season comes round every year!

In the end I got more or less what I wanted and went to pay.

At the checkout I was asked for my email address.
Why, I asked?
She said to send the receipt to. She said they either send it to your computer now, or your mobile phone!!

To my mind, that is just another way to get our information from us, so they can either sell it, or use it to send never-ending junk mail to.

I refused. So she gave me a paper receipt from the till, the old fashioned way.

What's going on with these places? I really don't like it and think it is very wrong.

Am I getting old and grumpy? Do others mind this way of doing things now? Or is it just me?

There. I've finished now.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 06:10 PM

Re: Customer Services

@ Mups,

No, I've found much the same with many retail outlets.
Lazy service and a could not give a toss attitude.
Then they wonder why businesses like Amazon & Ebay are taking over and high st outlets are shutting down.

If some of these places and their staff actually gave a stuff, things may be different?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 06:18 PM

The problem is shops think it is great employing young people who don't have a clue on customer service. If they employed older or even retired people who knew what the customer wanted, say no more
Try asking about electrical equipment and you get a reply like
"Sorry I am not allowed to advise on anything electrical"

what good is that when you want to know
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 06:25 PM

This is often true RS. I have found so many times, that staff (especially the young ones), haven't got a clue about the product they are selling.

I have especially found this at one local garden centre. No ones knows a Rose from a Dandelion and has no knowledge or advice to impart whatsoever.
The least they could do is offer to find someone who DOES know, but they don't even do that.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

05-08-2018, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
@ Mups,

No, I've found much the same with many retail outlets.
Lazy service and a could not give a toss attitude.
Then they wonder why businesses like Amazon & Ebay are taking over and high st outlets are shutting down.

If some of these places and their staff actually gave a stuff, things may be different?

Yes, I agree with all that Fender.

Whatever happened to 'Staff Training?'

Perhaps it's Management we should be blaming.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 06:37 PM

Homebase, in one of the nearby towns, used to be worth visiting, but latterly the firm had problems. It affected the customer service, which was appalling. We no longer bother to give it our custom.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

05-08-2018, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Homebase, in one of the nearby towns, used to be worth visiting, but latterly the firm had problems. It affected the customer service, which was appalling. We no longer bother to give it our custom.

Yes, I agree with you on that one too.
Our local Homebase is much the same.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 06:45 PM

It's a vicious circle though, the more successful online retailers become the more the High Street stores cut back on things like variety and customer services, so more people shop online, rinse and repeat.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

05-08-2018, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
It's a vicious circle though, the more successful online retailers become the more the High Street stores cut back on things like variety and customer services, so more people shop online, rinse and repeat.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense.

But what's the answer though?

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 06:52 PM

worst non sevice I ever got was just after my parents passed away and their estate was sorted. I was left enough to go buy a brand new Volvo 245 DL costing just over £7000 at the time
So during a lunch break I parked my BT van outside a Volvo garage and went in to enquire about buying one.
Having looked at one in the showroom this middle aged male numpty asked if he could help.

Now Sue and i already agreed on getting one so no problem there

I said to the middle age moron I would like to buy that for cash

His reply which really got up my nose said "Sonny when you have the money come back and see me" and a few other remarks telling me to leave the show room

Me being called "Sonny" that really got me and I let fly at him I really did, I recon the whole street heard me. Well the garage manager did anyway because he came flying down from upstairs somewhere

I told him to sack this salesman as he had just lost a £7000 car sale with the insult he said to me. I explained I had the money but if this was the attitude of the sales staff how bad would the serviceing be?

The manage tried to apologise but it was too late, the sales moron had lost a cash customer.

No sales person ever speaks to me like that without getting a very loud mouthful even in a crowded shop

I went to another Volvo garage and got one there instead, I had a Volvo145 DL at the time so I knew the car

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top