Join for free
Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 >
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 02:44 PM

Re: Brexit talks end 1 day early??

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
Glad you accept that EU is scared to death of competition from the UK. This is what leaving the EU means to a lot of people here. We have nothing to be scared of. Being competitive is one of the benefits of leaving the EU along with the ability yo make our own rules.
Leveling the playing field is something every country does in trade negotiations. It came up in recent trade negotiations between UK and australia. Australian negotiators will be laser-focused on addressing these tariff barriers, both in their own right and*to*level*the*playing*field*with New Zealand producers, who enjoy significantly superior acces. https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-in...-boring-policy
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
One example that stands out and has been brought to light by the present political discussions is regarding fishing quotas. I have read that we were granted 10% of fishing rights in our own waters, compared to the French being assigned 85%.
Swimfeeders has explained this several times to you. The fish species caught in british waters are not consumed in the UK. But the french love them. So the french are allowed to catch them, in exchange the british have larger quota of species the british consumers prefer.
The UK's share of the overall EU fishing catch in 2014 was 752,000 tonnes, the second largest catch of any country in the EU.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
- Snip -

Anyway, back to the unanswered questions. In your opinion how many EU jobs losses are you prepared to accept in order to protect the single market?

Who are the "stupid brits" you refer too?
Since Solasch won't answer your question for you Takahashi-san, I'll do it for him because he refuses to answer questions he doesn't like or knows that if he does answer he will lose the argument. This article in today's DE has a chart showing the countries that will be hit the hardest by a no deal Brexit - source of data: Halle Institute for Economic Research (IWH)

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
As far as I know eating horse meat has no negative health effects in humans. But didn't you send mad cows disease meat to europe? And foot and mouth mutton and sheep?
So british standards may be just as high as those in the EU, but I wouldn't trust boris' fellow countrymen on it.
We exported live animals to Europe. At the time we were unaware they had BSE. Perhaps you should read this article from a regional UK newspaper: https://www.expressandstar.com/news/...war-broke-out/ It explains a great deal, particularly the last paragraph.

As for Foot and Mouth disease, this has never, ever been exported from the UK in living memory. Every outbreak results in farms being locked down with immediate effect and all livestock on them being culled and either buried in lime pits or incinerated. Farms around them are also locked don and monitored for F&M.

It is widely acknowledged, on a Global basis, that UK reared animals and meats have been raised and produced under the strictest health and welfare standards currently available.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

06-07-2020, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Since Solasch won't answer your question for you Takahashi-san, I'll do it for him because he refuses to answer questions he doesn't like or knows that if he does answer he will lose the argument. This article in today's DE has a chart showing the countries that will be hit the hardest by a no deal Brexit - source of data: Halle Institute for Economic Research (IWH)
Oh percy, percy, what did I tell you about the reliability of the DE? The research they refer to in their article from the Halle IWF in germany, is from february 2019. https://www.iwh-halle.de/nc/en/press...icularly-hard/ It gives an estimate of job losses in case of a no deal brexit, meaning leaving the EU with no deal. As you know the UK left with a deal signed and ratified.
The Halle research is based on a situation that has not materialised. The article in the DE is, as usual, irrelevant.
Percy Vere
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 04:04 PM

Oh percy, percy, what did I tell you about the reliability of the DE? The research they refer to in their article from the Halle IWF in germany, is from february 2019. https://www.iwh-halle.de/nc/en/press...icularly-hard/ It gives an estimate of job losses in case of a no deal brexit, meaning leaving the EU with no deal. As you know the UK left with a deal signed and ratified.
The Halle research is based on a situation that has not materialised. The article in the DE is, as usual, irrelevant.
But, Solasch, we haven't got a TRADE deal yet, have we? What we DO have is a WA and a Political Declaration. I believe this article and Halle chart are referring to is a TRADE deal, nothing else.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

06-07-2020, 04:06 PM

We exported live animals to Europe. At the time we were unaware they had BSE. Perhaps you should read this article from a regional UK newspaper: https://www.expressandstar.com/news/...war-broke-out/ It explains a great deal, particularly the last paragraph.
BSE tests are ignored by the beef industry British beef not tested for BSE is exported
http://www.mad-cow.org/aug99_news.html#aaa

What can happen once, can happen again. It's inherent to the kind of people.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

06-07-2020, 04:09 PM

But, Solasch, we haven't got a TRADE deal yet, have we? What we DO have is a WA and a Political Declaration. I believe this article and Halle chart are referring to is a TRADE deal, nothing else.
Halle chart, research, is referring to the withdrawal. February 2019 (when halle research was publushed) there were no trade negotiations. Didn't you plan on leaving 29 march 2019?

The DE has not understoid, like you, or is misleading its readers on purpose.
Percy Vere

06-07-2020, 04:10 PM

BSE tests are ignored by the beef industry British beef not tested for BSE is exported
http://www.mad-cow.org/aug99_news.html#aaa

What can happen once, can happen again. It's inherent to the kind of people.
If that's what you want to believe then that's fine with me. You don't have to buy UK-produced meat, it's that simple.
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I hope you don't mind me joining in the discussion here.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I hope "that Brexit shall hurt the EU as much as possible".

However, for a number of reasons I do dislike the way that the UK has been treated by the EU.

One example that stands out and has been brought to light by the present political discussions is regarding fishing quotas. I have read that we were granted 10% of fishing rights in our own waters, compared to the French being assigned 85%.

I cannot believe that our own politicians ever agreed to this. Perhaps they were given no choice.

I'd be interested to know how you feel about that specific ruling.
Hello JBR,

as far as I learned (from this forum) the British fishermen sold their fishing rights to other Europeans. Solasch has a.f.a.i.r. explained the process in detail in the thread which is about overfishing.

I believe that the EU has no means of granting or refusing fishing rights to the UK. As I said, the quotas/rights were sold by British fishermen.

The relationship/membership of UK/EU was always different from the other members. Some rebates, special treatment frequent vetoes. Maybe it never was meant to be. Nobody wants to make enemies. The two parties should honor their responsibility for Europe which is much bigger than trade only.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
Hello JBR,

as far as I learned (from this forum) the British fishermen sold their fishing rights to other Europeans. Solasch has a.f.a.i.r. explained the process in detail in the thread which is about overfishing.

I believe that the EU has no means of granting or refusing fishing rights to the UK. As I said, the quotas/rights were sold by British fishermen.

The relationship/membership of UK/EU was always different from the other members. Some rebates, special treatment frequent vetoes. Maybe it never was meant to be. Nobody wants to make enemies. The two parties should honor their responsibility for Europe which is much bigger than trade only.
Thanks for your response.

I have no idea of the contents of Solach's explanation because, of course, I never read his comments.

As for British fishermen selling their rights to other countries, I find that rather strange considering that they have been complaining at length about the loss of their livelihoods. There have also been reports of our fishermen burning their boats in protest, although I don't know how true that is.

Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top