Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 09:58 AM

Chrome update

I have just started my computer and opened the Chrome browser to find that the Chrome I am familiar with has been changed. 'Updated' they call it!

I do not like it, especially the 'Bookmarks' page.

I have been searching for some way of reverting to the previous version. Unfortunately, Chrome does not want me to revert and the several independent web sites that offer a method are really quite complicated.

Can anyone suggest a simple and easy method, please?

Until then, I have copied all my bookmarks, tabs and other settings to Firefox, although this too is not as easy to use as the old Chrome.

Thanks for any help.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 11:01 AM

Re: Chrome update

My Chrome version is Version 68.0.3440.106, updated 2 days ago and I've not noticed any changes.

You may find your problem here:

https://productforums.google.com/for...rome/bookmarks
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 01:19 PM

Thanks Omah.

I have looked through most of these and see that there are many other dissatisfied Chrome users!

The response from Google/Chrome seems to be that a new version (68.0.3440.84) is being rolled out which will correct these changes.

However, I am on version 68.0.3440.106, which would appear to be a newer number. Perhaps they did make changes to the better and have now made it worse again!

I have added my own comments to the official forum, as above, plus:

"Just a suggestion: would it not be a good idea to offer 'updates', but give the user the choice of accepting or denying them?
Please don't become as dictatorial as Microsoft with their obligatory Windows updates."

so perhaps they'll respond and let me know.

If no improvement, it's back to Firefox, at least temporarily.

To be honest, I struggle to understand why they do this sort of thing as, for the life of me, I cannot see any real improvement on its appearance yesterday!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 01:26 PM

I hadn't realised there had been a Chrome update and have been into 'settings' and it looks like my ipad with sliding selectors.

I haven't encountered any problems as yet
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 01:28 PM

JB my Bookmarks look the same in what way has it altered..
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 01:47 PM

I believe there is a "brand-new" version of Chrome being released to users in September .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-08-2018, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
JB my Bookmarks look the same in what way has it altered..
My bookmarks tab, which I keep on the left of the other tabs along the top, has suddenly changed such that the entries are now spread apart much more so you can't see them all on the screen without a lot of scrolling. If I zoom out to make them fit, the text becomes too small for comfortable reading.

Also, whereas the list was to the left of the screen, it is now right in the middle.

It's not the end of the world and I suppose I might get used to it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-08-2018, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I believe there is a "brand-new" version of Chrome being released to users in September .....
Thanks. I'll hope for the best.

I see you are on the same version as me. Do you have a bookmarks tab or are yours on the bookmark bar along the top?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

10-08-2018, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
My bookmarks tab, which I keep on the left of the other tabs along the top, has suddenly changed such that the entries are now spread apart much more so you can't see them all on the screen without a lot of scrolling. If I zoom out to make them fit, the text becomes too small for comfortable reading.

Also, whereas the list was to the left of the screen, it is now right in the middle.

It's not the end of the world and I suppose I might get used to it.
JB my Bookmark tab which says 'Other Bookmarks' is where it has always been on the top far right section of the Bookmark bar. If I click on it a drop down menu appears, nothing has changed there.

The 'bookmarks manager' changed last year , I have got used to it now.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-08-2018, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
JB my Bookmark tab which says 'Other Bookmarks' is where it has always been on the top far right section of the Bookmark bar. If I click on it a drop down menu appears, nothing has changed there.

The 'bookmarks manager' changed last year , I have got used to it now.
Ah yes, I see.

You have your 'bookmarks bar' open (it can be opened/closed in 'settings'). As you say, there is a button on the right of the bar that opens 'other bookmarks'.

Yes, if I open my bookmarks bar, I have that as well but it is inconveniently small and difficult to read, so I created a bookmarks tab (one of 11 tabs along the top of the page), which used to be much easier to read.

However, that has now changed so that the entries are too spread out.

Sorry, I don't think I explained it very well.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top