Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2018, 04:05 AM

Re: Too Late to Leave!

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Bruce, those are some photos! When I was a teenager living in southern California, the hill fires were often visible from the house and helicopters would come in and siphon off the water in the swimming pool to help with the fires. I have a good friend has the C-130s out of California for several years.

The next question is how this is going to affect your journey? Are you postponing, truncating. or changing your destinations? I am sure this is playing havoc with your site reservations. I hope you have a Plan B!
We still have helicopters but not the really big ones like 'Elvis' or fixed wing aircraft which we get from the USA (at great expense).

What we do have is a Rural Fire Service (used to be The Bush Fire Brigade) in just about every town and suburb made up of volunteers who are the real experts at fighting bush fires.

No it won't affect my journey at all. To be honest a few thousand hectares is nothing in the scheme of bush fires.

I will probably leave on Sunday or Monday because the roads in Northern QLD are mostly open now.

https://qldtraffic.qld.gov.au/
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2018, 05:14 AM

From the looks of that map, the remote brushfires are the least of your worries!

Really looking forward to the reports of your adventure. I know you must be itching to get on the road...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2018, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
From the looks of that map, the remote brushfires are the least of your worries!

Really looking forward to the reports of your adventure. I know you must be itching to get on the road...
Funny thing is that these are the ones you have to watch out for - when they are droving cattle especially during drought and they are using the long paddock for feed. It is amazing how long it takes to get through a 1000+ head of cattle, they say no delays but you certainly don't want to hit a cow (they are incredibly stupid and can do a lot of damage) and sometimes the buggers won't move until the drovers come and hustle them off.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2018.04.16_15h50m50s_001_.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	5731  
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2018, 08:58 AM

I heard this morning that police think it might have been started deliberately.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2018, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I heard this morning that police think it might have been started deliberately.
Surely no one could be that evil ?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2018, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Surely no one could be that evil ?
Sadly many such fires are started deliberately!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2018, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Sadly many such fires are started deliberately!
Leaves me befuddled really does, such destruction and danger.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2018, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Leaves me befuddled really does, such destruction and danger.
I guess that is what gives these evil pieces of scum their kicks!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

16-04-2018, 11:50 AM

The Australian Institute of Criminology reckon up to 50% of bushfires are started deliberately, sometimes not maliciously just private burns that went wrong but grass fires are often started by kids with matches or a smoker throwing a cigarette away without checking that it is out.

On the news this evening they are not sure whether this one was started deliberately but the police have taken statements and doubtless will pursue those that started it if it was deliberate. A surprising number of people are eventually caught - penalties are very severe.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2018, 11:51 AM

OMG this is very sad.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top