Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 10:09 PM

Nutrient

Never got an answer to bigger conundrums so how about this one. We have an Aloe Vera plant on our Window ledge, it is massive in comparison to the pot it sits in, it gets water periodically, but no nutrients, how does it continue to flourish?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 10:16 PM

Re: Nutrient

does it not get air born nutrients Spitty?

I know they are known for their air purifying qualities
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Never got an answer to bigger conundrums so how about this one. We have an Aloe Vera plant on our Window ledge, it is massive in comparison to the pot it sits in, it gets water periodically, but no nutrients, how does it continue to flourish?
Be like Prince Charles, who talks to his plants...and ask it!!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 10:45 PM

Google is your friend....no mention of Aloe’s needing much other than water which contains some nutrients and a very weak feed every 6 months or so..no mention of prayer, philosophers stones or any spiritual energy and other nonsense.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 10:55 PM

Spitty, I also keep Aloe's.
I use the sap when I get insect bites in the summer.

I have a very large on on the kitchen window sill, and about 5 others from the mother plant. Each pot has up to half a dozen 'babies' in it at the moment, so I will need to repot the mother plant and decide what to do with the babies.

I use a proper Cactus compost, and occasionally give a cactus liquid feed during the growing season.
Anything in a pot that can't find its own food will eventually use up all the nutrients in that little pot, that is why each spring (due now), I repot mine with fresh compost and take off the babies. I either pot these little ones on or give them away.

I also keep the Venus Fly Traps, fascinating little plants.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 10:59 PM

I feel the same about Orchids. I have three in flower on the kitchen windowsill. It's like a miracle. I don't even water them, they just like a busy kitchen and some light (not too much). They seem to like morning light. Some plants are just more resilient & resourceful than others. Just like some people....
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2018, 05:42 AM

Photosynthesis?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top