Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2018, 04:27 PM

Aeroplane horror

Not sure I've put this in the right area if not I'm sorry and please move it mods.

On my way to work this morning I rang my Dad as always and he told me of some horrific news about an engine blowing in a plane, the plane had bust a window and had sucked a lady out the window due to compression in the cabin. The people on the plane tried to pull her back in but she died. I cried when my Dad told me because it really got to me how horrific this must have been for the woman and the people in the plane. How awful, can you imagine the fear those people must have been feeling, it really doesn't bear thinking about. The lady was a young woman with 2 children and a partner, they must be devastated.

I hate flying due to a bad experience once on a plane where the plane fell out of the sky due to hitting an air pocket, people on the plane screamed but it didnt last long thankfully and the captain gained control of the plane again thankfully. I still do fly but really don't like it due to the vulnerability I feel up there and I always say a prayer of thanks when we land and say thanks to the flight crew as I'm getting off lol.

Obviously and thankfully its not common for things like this what happened yesterday and probably one in a million which I'm glad about or I'd never fly again!

Whats your thoughts on flying? do you enjoy or hate?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2018, 04:43 PM

Re: Aeroplane horror

Terrifying for those on board:

Southwest Airlines jet engine 'explosion' leaves woman dead

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43803340

(with video)

and terribly sad for Jennifer Riordan, who died, and her family .....

Those who landed safely owe their lives to the pilot, Tammie Jo Shults .....

I loved flying when the planes were smaller (pre-jumbo), I hate modern commercial airliners .....
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2018, 04:46 PM

I have to admit I too felt pretty shook up after hearing that on the news, how so absolutely terrifying for all

For me flying is a nessecary evil. I don't particularly hate flying, I'm not fussed at being treated like cattle, but it gets me where I need to be quickly and relatively cheaply
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2018, 04:50 PM

Very sad about that poor woman.

The pilot has to be congratulated for managing to land the plane safely.

I have no problem with flying, my first flight was when I was two years old and I remember it well.

About ten years or so ago, I was flying back from my home island when we hit some very bad turbulence, it was clear the pilot and cabin crew were wondering if we would make it, which was a bit scary.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2018, 05:03 PM

Yes I heard of this tragedy , poor lady and her family . Having just spent a fortnight in Thailand and flown on 5 airplanes in that time I'm relieved to be home and safe , I hate flying especially take off and landing . My friend and I held hands each time , I sigh with relief when we land . My son (an air steward) told me never to take off my seat belt. My lad came to see me last year after a very difficult landing he had been on he said he honestly thought his time was up and even the crew had momentarily panic as the pilot managed to eventually stop the plane upright , it really did scare him . Though son tells me it's a very safe way to travel I don't like it at all
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2018, 05:06 PM

I saw this on the news. Dreadful thing to happen, I feel for the lady who died, her family & the passengers & crew.
I don't fly, never have. Can't get on a plane & these sort of tragedies just make me more certain never to get on a plane.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2018, 05:15 PM

I saw this on the news, I really feel for her family.
It will not put me off flying.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2018, 05:30 PM

But isn’t air travel the safest form of transport?
Something to do with the amount of accidents per mile? To be honest I would rather travel by air than on a bike..now that is really dangerous.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2018, 06:44 PM

Dreadful accident!
The best thing about flying is, no matter what problems you have on the ground you can do nothing about them when you're in the air!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2018, 07:11 PM

It is an awful thing to happen and just proves, none of us know, what’s around the corner.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top